1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem refuses to go to IRQ 3 or4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yelloweyes, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yelloweyes

yelloweyes Thread Starter

Help Please;
    I have tried everything I can think of and everything I have been able to find in the hardware forum; reconfiguring, reassinging I/O addys, Bios changes ect.
    There are no conflicts that I have been able to find, but I cant get the modem to work. I wants to stay on IRQ5 or IRQ9 instead of IRQ3 or IRQ4. Here is what I have;
    Running Windows 98SE Plus
    Award modular V4. Award Bios ext V1.0
    AMD K6-2 / 400
    Rockwell HCF 56k Speaker phone PCI Modem
    Any help would be Greatly appreciated as I have been trying to get this up and on line for the last 6 weeks.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, You could move the modem to another slot, if there is one available. It cannot usually use an IRQ like 3 or 4 if there are serial ports configured....the ports the older type of mice used to use on back of computer. The modem will want to use COM 2 or Windows will have to configure a virtual port, COM 3, 4, etc. If you dont have anything connected to any serial ports...you can try disabling it in the BIOS....or the printer port, if you do not use or plan to use the printer Parallel port for anything.
    The slot right next to the black ISA slots is shared....if you have ISA slots, check to be sure the modem is not in slot next to them and that you do not have anything in the ISA slot next to PCI slot, if that is where the modem is.
    PlugNPlay in the BIOS might be set either to Enabled or Disabled....what it does is allow IRQ steering I think, and/or you can Reserve IRQs this way for Legacy devices...which may be why you cannot use the IRQs 3 and 4. That's a very brief rundown....I am by no means any expert at the IRQ stuff, though one time I was able to reconfigure an address for a modem that was giving me a hassle...and it worked, switching from Basic Confiruation 000 to something else. It tells you when the switching should work....that's all I went by and it worked and still is. Doing that can become a problem though, when you want to install some hardware later on that needs a certain address...so dont do that, yet....
    Did you remove the old modem in Device Manager, and it's drivers....check Add/Remove Programs and check DM from Safe Mode for ghost modems....remove the old entries. I saw an HP in Safe Mode some kid has reinstalled things....there were 6 entries for all the devices.....what a mess.

3. yelloweyes

Thank You;
    I have tried all of these,to no avail. But
    Somehow last night I redid everything and it still came out on IRQ 5 but then I checked the box for DOS support, and it said to restart and when I did it locked up, so I restarted it, it went gave me the choice of normal, safe mode, ect. so I told it to start normal and when it did, the modem came up on IRQ9, which then worked, I went to DL explorer 6 and got a corrupt file and it promptly locked up, so I restarted and the dang thing went back to COM3 IRQ5. Now I am really confused as to how I got it there in the first place, and have since been unable to duplicate the good error.

4. Rockn

Rockn

This is the exact reason I would never buy an internal PCI modem because it's way too flakey. Is there a configuration utility that came with the modem? Can you change the com port in control panel under modems?

5. yelloweyes

yes there is a config program and I am using it. The only options that I can use in the DM port dept. is either IRQ3 or IRQ4

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119226

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice