1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem Response

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FLABOB, Jan 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FLABOB

FLABOB Thread Starter

After connecting on-line, my modem takes about three minutes before it begins to transfer data at the rate that the modem is designed to deliver. I'm using a Zoom 56K PCI Data/Fax modem, but I had the same problem with a Conexant 56K PCI Data/Fax modem that came with my computer. I dumped the Conexant modem because it was also unstable. It kept knocking me off-line too many times. I have a Dial-Up Network Monitor program installed, thru which I can see the action of the modem, and it shows that there is way too much pause time before any transfers of data occur. Also, when they occur, initially, they do so at a rate in the hundreds of bps. It's only after 3+ minutes when the modem finally kicks up to the thousands of bps level and begins to fly. I have checked my DUN and modem configuration settings, and everything seems to be ok. I usually connect to the internet at a level above 45000bps. I cannot hear any noise on the telephone line, and the phone people tell me that he line is ok. What, if anything, can be done to correct this problem? Thanks.

2. cshajkur

cshajkur

3. FLABOB

FLABOB Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to that speedguide website. I used it to check my TCP/IP conditions, and made the one change they recommended (re-setting the MTU speed value from 576 to 1500). However, it did nothing to solve my problem. Watching the DUN Monitor, it shows that there is too much "Idle" or "Pause" time between the Send and Receive packet transfers. In some cases the modem sits idle for 15 to 20 seconds before any data packet transfer occurs. I should have mentioned in my first thread message that I conducted bandwidth speed test on the modems (both), and in each case the results were lower than what a 28.8K modem should provide - not very good for the 56K modems I have installed.

4. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Hello Flabob,

I use the exact same Zoom modem. There are updated drivers available which might help. Also try this site. It is the best I've found fro optimizing internet connections. I followed the instructions and have noticed quite an improvement. Thought you might like to check it out.

Good luck. KW1

5. FLABOB

FLABOB Thread Starter

Thanks KW1 for the Networking optimization website. There is an awful lot of info there for me to wade through. I thought I had pretty much exhausted all the setup info available. I went to the Zoom website, but they do not list any updated drivers for my modem (model 2925). the past few days have been hectic as I have had telephone line problems that drove me crazy. Some sort of intermittent problem, from who knows what, that kept me from making any calls or getting on-line. Still do not know the why of it. Called everyone involved.
    Will see how your info works out.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice