1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem/router causing system rebooot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alcyon, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcyon

Alcyon Thread Starter

I have a 2wire homeportal DSL modem/Wireless router. I have it wired to my main system by CAT5 and wireless to my laptop.
    Here's what's happening: Say I were to reboot my machine right now, with the modem still on and connected. When the boot process is at the Windows "bootscreen" and tries to advance to the Windows Welcome/Logon screen the system reboots itself before reaching the Welcome screen. This will happen continuously until either the CAT5 is disconnected from the modem (for my main computer) or the power adapter is disconnected from the modem (this fixes both the tower and the laptop). This happens in the same manner on my laptop, so I believe it to be a something within the 2wire's settings or the modem itself. Might seem like an ease solve by going that route but it's highly fricking annoying having to unplug every reboot, especially when the power goes out/on while I'm not home and I come home to a system that's been rebooting itself every minute for the past few hours or more.
    Are there settings that anyone here knows about that could prevent this or is this a brand/model thing that I'll have to contact the manufacturer/support for help with?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice