1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem / router choice for broadband connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by stevedann, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevedann

stevedann Thread Starter

I'd like to network two PCs, both running Me and have a broadband connection , probably with Tiscali. I need someadvice on what modem / router I need to get. If I ask a shop or ISP I get slanted information.

I'd like to have the option of possibly changing provider in the future. (I'm aware that AOL seems to need a particular modem, I'd probably never want to sign up with them anyway).

Please can someone recommend either a suitable modem / router or the features and specifications I should be looking for. What does ethernet and 10/100 mean anyway?

Many thanks in advance.

2. doggard

doggard

Depends on your budget and how your system is going to evolve over the next year or two i.e. you could get a modem/router with wired and wireless connection such as those made by Draytek or a more simple single port router such as those supplied by some ISPs and use windows inbuilt software to share the connection [but this requires the main PC on for the others to connect].
    There is also the possibility of buying a modem/router with inbuilt hardware firewall which whilst more expensive is a good security feature.
    Linksys also make some excellent modem/routers at a good price.
    Perhaps a look round the price comparison sites such as www.dealtime.co.uk will help you find the cheapest of those suggested.

It normally just means its 10Mbps and 100Mbps switchable dependent on the speed of the network card attached to it i.e. if the card is only 10Mbps then that port will run at the slower speed.

3. coulterp

coulterp

Ethernet is probably the most widely-installed local area network (LAN) technology. It is specified in a standard, IEEE 802.3.

An Ethernet LAN typically uses coaxial cable or special grades of twisted pair wires (e.g. CAT5 or CAT5e UTP cabling). Ethernet is also used in wireless LANs.

It used to be the case that the most commonly installed Ethernet systems were 10BASE-T and provided transmission speeds up to 10 Mbps. Fast Ethernet or 100BASE-T provides transmission speeds up to 100 megabits per second and it used to be that it was used for LAN backbone systems. But as costs have fallen you would be hard-pressed to find so many 10 Mbps LANs now!

Where you see a router or other piece of kit labelled as 10/100 then it supports workstations sporting either 10BASE-T network interface cards (NICs) or 100BASE-T NICs.

Gigabit Ethernet provides an even higher support at 1000 megabits per second (1 gigabit or 1 billion bits per second). These may carry a label saying 10/100/1000.

As regards modems/router you could do worse than look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp and for reviews of hardware try http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/195469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice