1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem router - wireless router - laptop - webccam

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Brooook, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

Oh the hassles!!! Just when I had the port forwarding perfected for my modem/router, I decide to go wireless.

My modem router is D-Link DSL-504G

My wirelss router is Netgear WGR614v7

My laptop is running XP

My webcam is Logitech Pro and I broadcast using UBroadcast on port 8080

OK, in the old days I would port forward from the D-Link IP 10.1.1.2 to port 8080

Now, I went to portforward.com and followed their instructions for the Netgear and portforwarded IP 192.168.1.136 to port 8080

Sooooooo, what do I portforward the D-link to now????

See if you can see out my window on my webcam. In WMP, File, Open URL, and put in
    http://ladeda.no-ip.info:8080

Thanks in advance.

PS I don't think I am broadcasting...

2. coulterp

coulterp

The answer is no: I cannot see out of your window on my webcam.

I assume on the Netgear you mean you are forwarding port 8080 to IP 192.168.1.136.

In any case it looks like you have two routers connected in series. In which case you want to be following JohnWill's by now traditional "Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.": I've included it here to save you searching for it.

If you follow this and the D-link is the so-called "primary router", you'd be setting up port-forwarding on the D-link and there is no need to be setting up port-forwarding on the Netgear.

3. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

I tried that and completely stuffed up everything!!!

I've only just managed to get back online and get my wireless working again.

What did I do wrong?

On the Netgear I went to LAN connections and turned off DHCP server. Then I tried to change the IP to 192.168.1.136 to match what I had changed the wirelss one to? I think that's where I went wrong?

I'll try changing it to 192.168.1.254? Similar to what JohnWill suggested?

Maybe I need more simplistic instructions...

4. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

That didn't work either but at least I know how to right it now. A message came up suggesting I needed to do ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew but I didn't go there.

Now my LAN IP settings on the Netgear is back to 192.168.1.1 and the DHCP server is checked again....

Simplistic instructions please?

5. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

This is how I see it

WAN talks to the internet/phone line

LAN talks to the computer, or in this case another router.

Router/modem 1) WAN is 10.1.1.1 and LAN is 10.1.1.3 to Router2) So I'll port forward to 10.1.1.3

Router/wireless 2) WAN is 192.168.1.1 and LAN is 192.168.1.136 to Laptop so i'll port forward to 192.168.1.136 (Static IP that I assigned to the laptop)

Right? So why doesn't it work?

6. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

Sorry, I'm talking to myself. I'm just a dizzy blonde trying to get my head around it all...

I tried again and now have the cable going from LAN1 of the router/modem to LAN4 of the router/wireless.

Now, the automatically assigned IP on my laptop is 10.1.1.4 - which was assigned by my router/modem? So it's as if the wirelss isn't there...

I did a simple port forward on the router/modem of port 8080 to IP 10.1.1.4.

Before wireless, I simply port forwarded to 10.1.1.2 so hopefully this will work now.

I have the webcam pointed towards the TV if anyone wants to try it. I can't check it myself...

7. coulterp

coulterp

And this is what the JohnWill crib-sheet directed! LAN1 of the router/modem to a LAN port on the wireless router (with WAN port on the latter unused).

Yeph. The modem/router is doing the DHCP and the laptop gets it's IP direct from the modem/router. The wireless is there, it's just that as far as the DHCP server (modem/router) is concerned it doesn't see, know or even care about there being wireless. The Netgear is just being used as a switch with wireless point capability (i.e. no router capability).

Couldn't get your webcam loaded though. Error message:

"The connection has timed out. The server at ladeda.no-ip.info is taking too long to respond".

The webcam is set to respond on port 8080 and not some other port (like 80)??
    And 10.1.1.4 is the correct LAN IP address to port forward to? At one stage you also referred to 10.1.1.2. You need the LAN IP of the webcam to be static, or DHCP could assign anything and then the port-forward could be pointing at the wrong IP address.

8. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

Thanks coulterp.

I had tried earlier to connect LAN to LAN but with disasterous consequences so I had to take it the slow way, with a bit more research and reading to get my head around it. I admit I was surprised when I could connect to the internet the last time I reconfigured everything.

To cover all my bases, I have nearly every port imaginable port forwarded, including the old 192.xxx etc. I'll trim them back once I know it is working.

10.1.1.2 was my laptops IP before I added the wireless router and now it comes up as 10.1.1.4 with all the changes.

I'm off sick for a couple of weeks so have plenty of time. I'll try again tomorrow and have a couple of friends online that (hopefully) will help check it out.

Meanwhile, if there is anything else you can think of that I need to tweak? "No-IP DUC v2.2.1" seems happy with my IP so should be "hiding" it well enough for the link to UBroadcast. I have previously used both programs successfully (before wireless) to broadcast my webcam.

9. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

I finally have the webcam up and broadcasting, but only on port 80. Could there be a block on port 8080 in the wireless Netgear router? I've never had problems forwarding that port when I had it hardwired only to the D-Link.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't broadcast on port 80?

10. coulterp

coulterp

Well it is not completely clear to me from the details you have posted following the suggested JohnWill "Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together" procedure what your configuration is now.
    But ... if you have followed "Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together" and the Netgear is the secondary router in that configuration, so that the WAN port on the Netgear is not being used, then port-forwarding on the Netgear is irrelevent as you are not NAT'ing on the Netgear and the only place port-forwarding is of any consequence is on the D-Link.
    You should confirm exactly your configuration if it is different to that described.

So as I see you you only need to be port-forwarding port 80 and/or 8080 to IP 10.1.1.4 (if that is the IP address of the laptop hosting the web-cam process) on the D-link.

11. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

Correct. I have the LAN to LAN setup as suggested by JohnWill. I have no idea what a cross over cable is so just have my normal cable from LAN to LAN.

I have port 8080 forwarded to 10.1.1.4 (and 10.1.1.2 and 10.1.1.2 just to cover the odds!)

I found a website where I could enter a port, and they would see if it was open. Port 8080 was "filtered" which they said was "secure" ie not open. I noticed port 80 was open so went with that and IT WORKED!! I didn't have it port forwarded ???

12. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can't port forward an individual port to more than one IP address, so I'm not sure what you actually did here.

13. Brooook

Brooook Thread Starter

Thanks, that's very interesting.

It let me do it, but maybe I will trim it down to forwarding ONLY to 10.1.1.4

I just thought the more the merrier but may be contributing to my own problem? The webcam is working well on port 80 so that's good. It's a big learning curve and I have now learnt the concepts of WAN and LAN.

That's what I like about TSG, every problem or query forces one to learn more about the computer.

THANKS SO MUCH to all the folk here at TSG.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/581577

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice