Solved Modem/Router with Landline Ports Recommendation

Lee Lewis

Z.
Using Xfinity as the wifi provider, what combination router/modems are compatible with a
Macbook (Air, early 2015 and iPhone 7, that has a landline port, as well? Apple doesn't allow for use of ethernet. Grrr
(Operating systems are up-2-date.)

TerryNet

Terry
Xfinity is what the cable company Comcast is calling their service. Apparently you want internet and VoIP (phone) service (and maybe TV also). Make sure you contract for the actual service you want and then either rent an appropriate modem/router from them or check for what modem/wireless routers with VoIP are supported by their service.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Apple doesn't allow for use of ethernet.
Does this mean that the Mac has no "Cat5/6 socket in which to plug in a cat5/6 cable?

TerryNet

Terry
Does this mean that the Mac has no "Cat5/6 socket in which to plug in a cat5/6 cable?
That's probably what Z meant. It has at least one USB port so I do not know why a USB ethernet adapter is not allowed.

Lee Lewis

Z.
I do not know why a USB ethernet adapter is not allowed.
It is simply an solely because Apple sucks (except their tech support is pretty darn wonderful) and I will never use them again once these devices aren’t behaving anymore.

TerryNet

Terry
Apple even sells a USB ethernet adapter (example) for the Macbook Air. "Easily connect your MacBook Air computer to an Ethernet network with the Apple USB Ethernet Adapter." And I'm sure there are less expensive ones that will also work fine.

Lee Lewis

Z.
Apple even sells a USB ethernet adapter (example) for the Macbook Air. "Easily connect your MacBook Air computer to an Ethernet network with the Apple USB Ethernet
adapter.
Well that’s the word I got from an Apple tech-support guy, so thank you for mentioning this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online