1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem seems to freeze

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RPhox, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

Every so often, but at least once a day, my modem seems to freeze up leaving me with no choice but to disconnect and reboot.
    When I check the modem status by right-clicking on the modem icon, the bytes received and bytes sent counters are not moving. And I cannot get into any sites.

How can I check if my modem is working properly before I start dealing with my ISP? When I check the device settings in the Control Panel it says that the device is working properly.

It's a Motorola SM56 PCI modem (55600). I run Windows98 on a PentiumIII with 256mb RAM.

Thanks for any help.

2. esdxc37

esdxc37

not exactley sure what your saying here but will give it a go
    in the sm56 properties there is a section where it says wait for dial tone uncheck this and will dial as soon as you double click your isp icon

sorry am a bit vauge had the same modem a long while back and would never connect

if this is not the problem contact again with precise info about problem as is hard to discern from your post the exact prob your having

3. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

I have no problems connecting. The problem occurs after I'm already logged-on. It is as if the modem stops responding. The bytes-received and bytes-sent counters stop incrementing. No matter which site address I type in, I get the page about "The page cannot be displayed. The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

Even my email times out. But the actual Outlook is working as I can use different options and access folders.

So I disconnect, reboot and reconnect. Then things work fine until the next modem freeze. And it's not the pc because I am able to run other apps.

4. $teve

$teve

rphox....go here www.pcpitstop.com run the full tests then go here www.optimizing.net to REALLY configure your modem,follow the walkthrough for your operating system, then go back to the 1st site and re-test....believe me,you will see a big improvement.

come back and tell us what result you get;)

5. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

Thanks for the sites. I enjoyed both of them.

Unfortunately they didn't solve my problem. About an hour after I reset the modem according to the optimizing site, the modem froze up again. But at least I discovered that I don't have to reboot. Just disconnect and reconnect and it starts working again.

Why do I have a funny feeling that the prob is with my ISP?

6. LindyG

LindyG

I am curious if you figured this out. I am having the same problem and was thinking that it was my modem going out. Pls post a reply or send me an email. Thx.

7. dickster

dickster

If so, read this. I found it at Compaq support when I had the same problem.

- Windows 98 installed.
    - Ethernet Card installed.
    - Ethernet Card NOT USED (i.e. a stand alone computer or a computer that is NOT Networked using ethernet).

The symptoms are 20-60 second pauses approximately every 5 minutes while connected to the Internet. The pauses can be seen as pages pause while loading, as well as the internet icon in the systray.
    The cause of this problem is that the modem and the NIC by default will share TCP/IP configuration, specifically the one to "obtain an IP address automatically." About every 5 minutes TCP/IP will go over to the NIC and try to obtain an IP address. Since there is no network connected, there will be no IP address and the procedure will have to time out.This is where the 20-60 second pauses occur since the modem has to wait until the NIC times out.

The workaround is to go to Start > Control Panel > Network, and under the Configuration Tab and, in "The following network components are installed:" window, highlight the TCP/IP xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ethernet
    adapter by clicking it once with the mouse, and then click on the "Properties" button. Under the IP Address tab, there is a selection of either "Obtain an IP address automatically" or "Specify an IP address:"
    If an IP address is already entered, DO NOT CHANGE IT. This indicates that the problem lies elsewhere.
    If the "automatic" option is shown, Select the "Specify an IP address:" and enter some numbers for IP address like 160.190.100.101, and these numbers for "Subnet mask:"
    255.255.255.0 and click on "OK". The system will now prompt to restart the system. Say OK.
    Reboot and the pauses should go away."

Hope this helps.

8. RPhox

RPhox Thread Starter

No, I don't have an ethernet card.

Yes, I still have the problem. I called my ISP and, of course, they had no idea what the problem could be. But they did suggest that it might be a personal firewall I run - Lockdown 2000 - which keeps hackers from breaking into my pc (they try to get in constantly). The ISP suggested that the next time the modem freezes I should disable the firewall and see if that helps. I tried and it didn't make a difference.

I guess the next step is a new modem. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

9. LindyG

LindyG

Nope, ethernet card not installed. I was thinking, could this be a power supply problem? I had my cdrom crap out yesterday too. It was working and quit in the middle of a spin of music. I replaced the cdrom (with a not new one, but working one), replaced the cable, checked all connections. It has power, is recognized, the light comes on, but no spin. It does not recognize the cd. I did notice that once it actually ejected the cd, then the door would not close, which lead me to think about the power supply. Any way I can check that, or should I just buy one and see what happens?

10. Hamill

Hamill

Hi,
    Do you have call waiting? If so you need to disable it, or get rid of it. When you are on line and you have call waiting and it beeps it can really mess with your modem. You might want to also check the phone line for excessive line noise, static or interfearance. If telephones are connected to this same phone line you may want to disconnect them and see if they may be the source of the problem. It is usually not the modem. Could be an isp issue though.
    Good luck,
    Hamill

11. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

;) Go to Start/settings/control panel/modems. Highlight your modem then click on properties/connections/advanced. Place a checkmark in the "Append to log". Click on the view log tab. Here you will see the processes of the modem. Next time it hangs go to the log to see if it will show the problem source. Hope this helps.

KW1

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice