1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem selection assistance...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by forever_craz, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_craz

forever_craz Thread Starter

I have recently installed RedHat 8.0 on an Intel i686; 256Mb RAM; 133Mhz FSB; 1 - 15Gb HD; 1 - 10Gb HD. I need to select a modem to dial in to my isp using POTS. I have looked on RedHat.com/hcl to find compatible listings with out luck. I am considering a US Robotics 5610B controller-based modem for $80 but need some guidance on my final selection.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!:confused:

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

What ever modem you decide on...

Make sure it's a Hardware Driven modem!!!

WinModems SUCK with Linux!

Good Luck!

ST

3. forever_craz

forever_craz Thread Starter

Yes, I understand the importance of a controller-based modem in the context of GNU/Linux. The question that should have been posted, I suppose, is which hardware modem is the best. I have been considering a USR5610B but need to know if there are any others doing the job better.

Also, which sites are the best for this specific research? I have been at redhat.com, linmodems.org, various comparison sites, etc...

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice