1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem sending where ?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by grilledTomato, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grilledTomato

grilledTomato Thread Starter

Hello again,

This is just an enquiry...

Is there any way I can tell where my modem is sending or which software is sending. On dial-up, away it goes, with nothing web related running (to my knowledge).

If there is a way to know what and why is going where then please, fill me in :D

Thanks alot,

GT

ps This is really spooking me ...:confused:

2. grilledTomato

if this helps...

[from process viewer (C) by igor nys]

ddhelp.exe
    explorer.exe
    kernel32.dll
    kmaestro.exe
    loadqm.exe
    mmtask
    mprexe.exe
    msgsrv32
    rnaapp.exe
    rundll
    ssdpsrv.exe
    stimon.exe
    stmgr.exe
    systray.exe
    tapisrv.exe
    taskmon.exe
    wmiexe.exe

These are the running process I presume. BTW, is this normal ?
    <chuckle>. Thanks again for your time ;)

Regards,

GT

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

One thing you could do is download and install ZoneAlarm. This free, excellent firewall software forces you to allow or disallow all programs from accessing the internet, so you'll know what programs are trying to grab your connection.

Even if it's a program you've enabled, if you have the ZoneAlarm window open, it shows a section at the top with icons of programs currently open with rights to access the internet. The icons flash when a program is accessing.

http://www.zonelabs.com

If you do decide to get it (and really, you shouldn't be without a firewall, though there are other choices available, like Tiny Firewall), at first, you will have to tell a lot of programs it's ok to access. Some will be obvious, like iexplore.exe for Internet Explorer (be careful, some trojan horse programs/viruses name themselves iexploreR.exe)

I'm sure there are utilities to watch your internet traffic packet by packet (called sniffers) or program by program, if you want, but this seems the easiest way to start.

4. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

By the way, a TON of software programs now have Automatic Update features. These programs access the internet frequently to check for updates.

In addition, programs like Windows Media Player and RealPlayer access the internet for updates and/or OTHER REASONS (RealPlayer is notorious for collecting information about your listening/viewing habits, ostensibly to provide you with better service, unless you specifically turn them off in the preferences.

5. grilledTomato

Cheers Gnosis :D

I'll check that out soonest. Had Zonealarm for a little while; last time I installed it I encountered some probs (registry maybe from last install), but I'll give it another go. It may be causing the random modem stalls I get sometimes (last install allowed dial up but no access for any progs, regardless). Cool, very cool. I'll check it out !

And thanks for the information about "sniffers"...

Thanks again, regards

GT

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice