Modem sending where ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

grilledTomato

Hello again,

This is just an enquiry...

Is there any way I can tell where my modem is sending or which software is sending. On dial-up, away it goes, with nothing web related running (to my knowledge).

If there is a way to know what and why is going where then please, fill me in :D

Thanks alot,

GT

ps This is really spooking me ...:confused:

grilledTomato

if this helps...

[from process viewer (C) by igor nys]

ddhelp.exe
explorer.exe
kernel32.dll
kmaestro.exe
loadqm.exe
mmtask
mprexe.exe
msgsrv32
rnaapp.exe
rundll
ssdpsrv.exe
stimon.exe
stmgr.exe
systray.exe
tapisrv.exe
taskmon.exe
wmiexe.exe

These are the running process I presume. BTW, is this normal ?
<chuckle>. Thanks again for your time ;)

Regards,

GT

One thing you could do is download and install ZoneAlarm. This free, excellent firewall software forces you to allow or disallow all programs from accessing the internet, so you'll know what programs are trying to grab your connection.

Even if it's a program you've enabled, if you have the ZoneAlarm window open, it shows a section at the top with icons of programs currently open with rights to access the internet. The icons flash when a program is accessing.

http://www.zonelabs.com

If you do decide to get it (and really, you shouldn't be without a firewall, though there are other choices available, like Tiny Firewall), at first, you will have to tell a lot of programs it's ok to access. Some will be obvious, like iexplore.exe for Internet Explorer (be careful, some trojan horse programs/viruses name themselves iexploreR.exe)

I'm sure there are utilities to watch your internet traffic packet by packet (called sniffers) or program by program, if you want, but this seems the easiest way to start.

By the way, a TON of software programs now have Automatic Update features. These programs access the internet frequently to check for updates.

In addition, programs like Windows Media Player and RealPlayer access the internet for updates and/or OTHER REASONS (RealPlayer is notorious for collecting information about your listening/viewing habits, ostensibly to provide you with better service, unless you specifically turn them off in the preferences.

grilledTomato

Cheers Gnosis :D

I'll check that out soonest. Had Zonealarm for a little while; last time I installed it I encountered some probs (registry maybe from last install), but I'll give it another go. It may be causing the random modem stalls I get sometimes (last install allowed dial up but no access for any progs, regardless). Cool, very cool. I'll check it out !

And thanks for the information about "sniffers"...

Thanks again, regards

GT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts