1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem-slow connection speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bentley, Aug 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bentley

bentley Thread Starter

I recently installed an Actiontec 56kPCI Pro modem and cannot connect to the internet at more than 28.8. I have tried reseating the modem, I downloaded new drivers from Actiontec. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I tried entering connection strings in the extra settings area and I have set it to connect only at 56. It still connects at 28.8. My ISP checked my connection and says its not the phone line and not them. I even tried connecting to another ISP with the same results. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. LarryCore

LarryCore

How fast is your computer? PCI WinModems rely heavily on the CPU. If yours isn't fast enough, you will connect at low speeds and get cut off a lot.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

7/9 added two pay to listen to music sites

I've gotten 5 $18 amazon.com GCs in 4 weeks listening to music! http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

3. bentley

bentley Thread Starter

I have a 400 with an AMD K6 chip. The old modem, which was also a 56 worked fine. When it quit working I used an external for a while that also worked well.

4. Kento

Kento

You sure it's not your phone line?

Have you checked control panel--modems--general tab--properties button--general tab--maximum speed? I would guess you have.

What kind of modem is your old one that you seem to say connected at the proper speed. Was it a 56K V90? Is your new one a V90?

5. TheGorx

TheGorx

6. bentley

bentley Thread Starter

I'm not sure if the old modem was V90, New modem is.

ISP insists that phone line is okay. I've tried setting connection at 115.2 or 56 and have tried connect only at that speed but it ignores and connects at 28.8

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

ISP can only tell if the line into their site is ok, they can't tell if the line at your house is good or not.

Any chance you can try the system on a different line (like take it to work or something)?

400 should be fast enough for a WinModem, by the way.

------------------

I've gotten 5 $18 amazon.com GCs in 4 weeks listening to music! http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

8. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    A tidbit of info -> I tripped across a suggestion to lower the Receive Buffer 1 or 2 notches from the Highest to improve the Download speed. Tried it and it worked. It did not change the Connect Speed though. Ironically, the Connect Speed is displayed in Bits per second and the Download Speed is displayed in a full C therefor if you divide the Connect Speed by 9 you'll get the basic Download Speed.

As far as the lower Connect Speed, did you change the wire that goes from the computer to the wall jack? The wall jack? The wiring from the computer to the telephone office is the most important item in the Speed of a Dial-Up connection.

Was there a Jumper on the new Modem to select Connect Speed? LOL

Steve-x8086

9. olliehay

olliehay

My friend also has an Actiontec Actiontec 56kPCI Master modem, and is experiencing much the same problem with his system. He has 40 Mb of RAM, and is running Win 98. He installed it into a PB 660CD and so has been unable to access any help from ActionTec themselves (they say to "contact the computer manufacturer"). His download speeds are very slow, and if we are chatting in Messenger and he is trying to download or anything, Messenger's response time slows right down (it shouldn't be a stretch to do both should it?)

In an unrelated (?) incident, he had problems with his DUN and OE/IE yesterday (they were asking constantly for him to connect when he was already connected). We did a Win98 reinstall (without formatting) and then did an IE5 repair, which seemed to solve the problem. However now he's noticed since then that his online speed is very very slow, even compared to normal. [​IMG]

Any suggestions would be most welcome, we've been tearing our hair out over this modem.

Regards, Olliehay

10. LarryCore

LarryCore

Well, my first, best suggestion is to get a better brand modem. Get a USRobotics modem and you won't have to worry about this kind of thing.

There are other decent brands out there too, of course, but USR seems to be the most trouble free, the most compatible, and the most reliable.

------------------

11. Robert

Robert

I totally agree with LarryCore, you need to get a better brand modem and make sure that it is NOT a Winmodem ...

Most software driven modems will connect at lower speeds .. That is why when you used an external one, it was OK ...

BTW, give this a try .. go to the "extra settings" and type in ATN0 (that is zero)and see if that helps ...

12. lbriteyes

lbriteyes

Ok.... here's weirder than weird. I built a new computer for my mother, details will follow. The motherboard came with a stupid little AMR. I immediately disabled it in the BIOS and discarded it. I installed a brand new USRobotics 56k V.90 and couldn't get it to work. After pulling out my hair, and the hair of my family, I took it out and re-installed the AMR. I can connect with it, but thats about it. Connect speeds run 19 to 24. I'm about to pull out the hair of the people I bought the stuff from. Any ideas?... or does this belong in another thread?

Linda

13. lbriteyes

lbriteyes

oooooops Details:

AMD Duron 1000
    Stupid AMR
    Windows ME

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice