1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem Stopped Connecting to Netzero

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pfoerste, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

Win98se, K6-2/500, 128mb ram, Modem Rockwell HCF 56K data fax RTAD PCI.
    After loading OS I installed the Modem and drivers and Netzero, I got on line and all was ok(the modem squaked while connecting). After installing other programs I tryed to go on line to get updates.

Could not get online,(Modem did not squak) I get the message "you are logged on" then the message "failed to connect to our server" redialing.

Modem is reconized every where. I took the Modem out and rebooted, reinstalled it and I get the same message.

Sure could use some help.
    Thanks

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

Try having the modem dial any miscelaneous number, pick up the phone when it starts and listen to see if the modem is actually dialing. I've had 3 rockwells that work a while then a few months later seem to work but don't actually do anything.

And of course it could always be a configuration problem with netzero as they aren't the most reliable. Are you on their "free" plan. I got kicked off it and had similar problems.

But anyway, see if you can get it to dial a number in the phone dialer.

3. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

rmay635703, thanks for the reply.
    I plugged in a phone into the modem and it was going out.
    Yes I am using the free netzero service, that's what my daughter wants. There money is tight. 3-1/2 kids, new house and one working.
    I am going to install my Atlantic.net tomorrow, They have good 800 tech support and see if they can tell me if it's the modem or what ever.

Thanks again.

4. waltj2

waltj2

Hello

I had a similar problem with Net Zero's free account on my daughters computer.

Sytem Specs

M810LR M/B
    Duron 1300
    96 Megs Mem
    15 GIG HD
    OS Win 2000
    NTFS

Connecting to NetZero would cause the computer to lock up completely-Control/Alt Delete did nothing, no mouse movement, nothing, except a shut down could restart it!!

I did the following (some are drastic!)

Rejelled & reseated the heatsink

Removed & reseated the modem (AMR type)

Result= same problem

Loaded my ISP & connected

Result= No problem at all Stayed on for over 3 hours
    Rebooted w/o any problems

Tried Net Zero again Result= Total Lock up!!!!

Shut down & took out memory. Put in a 256 MG chip

Booted up & tried Netzero again

Result= Success!!!!

Problem is NetZero (& Juno) download (in the background)
    3 files to update the browser!!! After the 3 files were downloaded, I rebooted the machine & connected to Netzero w/o any problems. After shutting down, I put the original memory back in & crossed my fingers. Netzero connected OK, and so far there havent been any problems to date.

Hope this helps

Walt

5. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

waltj2, thanks for the information, I'll keep it in mind as I work through this. The ram I have is 2 new sticks, 64mb each, of Crucial. And I just set the heat sink (new).

6. waltj2

waltj2

Hello again!!!

IF ALL of your othe programs work w/o any problems, DONT do ANYTHING except to try to switch the memory temporarily (Like 256 MGS). Several people at work came to me & mentioned the same problem (They all had 128 MGS of memory & the same problem). Netzero evidently has a major problem with the packaging of this behind the scenes download. If you can, try another ISP just to rule out a problem w/ the modem.

Good Luck!!!

7. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

My ISP wouldn't work either, while working with the ISP Tech I got a BSD "invalid VxD dynamic link call from VS data 95(01)+ 0001495c to device "0028" service 800a, your windows configuration is invalid. run the windows setup program again to correct this problem"
    I tried to reinstall window over and I get the same BSD when it finishes. I am going to format and start over, when the sprit moves me, today I hope.

Thanks!

8. waltj2

waltj2

Hello Again!

Just a few observations/suggestions.

1.There is a free program on the net (Wipe Out or some other name ) that wipes your HD completely. You might want to try it (I havent, & cant recall the exact name)

2.Before using FDISK & reformatting & etc, remove the modem and any other unnecessary hardware (NICK cards, etc. Use the onboard video if you have it. NICK cards and modems do not get along well in computers) You only need the A drive, Hard drive, Video (Sound card, if you have it, can also be removed. You really dont need it now) and a CDRom.

3.Have you tried different PCI slots for the modem? I had to do alot of juggling around after I put in a Nick card before they both worked correctly, and the modem was in place for 2 years w/o any problems.

4.After you get the modem installed & working correctly, load any hardware 1 piece at a time, and try connecting to NetZero after each install to check for any conflicts.

5.Do the same thing with the programs. (You stated the modem was orking before the programs were loaded, and the BSD started after they were loaded)

Just my 2 cents, and Good Luck

Walt

9. waltj2

waltj2

2ND Note

NetZero will download (in the background) 3 files to update their browser. My suggestion is to do the download with only the basic hardware installed.

Walt

10. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

Thanks Walt for your information.
    I had quit trying Netzero and was trying my ISP with tech support. They couldn't solve the problem, suggested upgrading to IE6 and or upgrading windows.

I have been ill and don't have much motivation, so I took it to the local computer shop. Said it would be a couple hours, well they called and said they were having fits with it and wanted to format.
    I told them to have at it. I'll go see what they think today.
    Did not here from them after that.
    The only thing new in this machine is the MOBO(FICA), Cpu(AMD K6-2/500 and Ram(2 sticks 64mb Crucial).
    The mobo/cpu came from a "new supplus" store. I am thinking about mabe getting a Megabyte mobo. I purchassed 2 of these mobos and I could get the 1st one to work correctly in my oldest daughters computer. Now this problem with this one make me supect.

Thanks for you interest
    Paul

11. pfoerste

pfoerste Thread Starter

Walt, got it back and it's running. I installed all the programs going on line with my ISP and Netzero every 2 or 3 programs.
    I haven't talked to the tech, but it looks like he formatted, reinstalled 98se, upgraded to IE6 (hope that don't cause problems) and upgraded WMP.

Thanks for your help.
    Paul

12. waltj2

waltj2

Hello & Congrats!!

Just one last note: M$ does offer some free Service Pack & Upgrade dics from their website. I got the Office 2000 SPs & Ie 6.0 upgraade discs for free.
    Makes it alot easier & faster than doing the downloads

Walt

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice