1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem stopped connecting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DebbyR, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

Hi.
    The other day, we had TONS of snow, which caused the power to go out about 3 times, for short bursts. I was surfing the net on my laptop...
    Well, now I can't hook up to the internet with it. I turned the sound up & listened, and it sounds pretty scratchy... anyway, you can hear the dial tone, and then the tone dialing & beeps... but the dial tone continues un-affected.
    I called my server, who helped me set up a new connection, and looked at the device, which says its all fine...
    Does anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking that the modem got a jolt through the phone line, which damaged it.

Do you think this will have to be replaced? are they expensive/hard to install?
    Thanks for any help... I will call a local tech too... but they are sooo $$$$$$!
    Debby

2. winbob

winbob

Debby,

The problem you have is a Telephone Type of problem usually refered to as, 'inability to break dial tone'.

It can be either the dialing device, OR the phone line itself.

If you can dial out on a regular Phone, then the problem is with your Modem's Phone circuitry. A new Modem will be required.

Replacing a (PCI Slot) Modem in other than a Laptop is a rather simple choir. It's basically unplug the old one and plug in the new one. AND if you get an exact duplicate of the current one....no setup would be required!

AND PCI Modems are Cheap!!!

3. DebbyR

DebbyR Thread Starter

Thank you WinBob
    Unfortunately it is a Thinkpad...
    I called the tech & he will check it out for me... sounds like he's going to try to sell me a new one... so what else is new, hey?
    Thanks again,
    Debby

4. winbob

winbob

Well if all else fails, there are PCMCIA slot modems.

Don't know for sure, but there are probably USB attached modems as well??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326839

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice