1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem stops working between plugging it into different devices?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cnff13, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cnff13

cnff13 Thread Starter

I have a Comcast Motorola Surfboard rental modem. It works fine, great speeds etc etc. It has no router or bridge support.

I use this modem to connect to the web on my ps3 and PC. What I have been doing is simply unplugging the ethernet cord from one device, and putting it in the other device to switch. But of course things can't be simple...

Every time I switch devices, the modem tries to reconnect and does a cycle where every time it only reaches the "Send" light. So I have to power cycle my modem and wait about a half hour before my connection resumes...

I read something about PPPoE, but Comcast doesn't even use it so that won't help.:rolleyes:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You shouldn't need to wait a half hour, but you will need to power cycle the modem. A cheap router would resolve this.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Power cycle for cable service usually means about 30 seconds of unplugged time.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1042240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice