1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem trouble...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Zina0707, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zina0707

Zina0707 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillon and now having major trouble with the modem. I am using dial-up. It states that I am connected but then I can not see any pages or open anything. When I open the task manager it said that Juno is not responding! I called HP but of course my warranty is out and they want $50 or $100 to help. They said that the modem just needs to be reconfigured but won't help without me paying up! If anyone can help with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Zina0707

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are using a Juno application to manage the connection? If so, I suggest reinstalling the program.

3. Zina0707

Zina0707 Thread Starter

I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and I still have issues. I even tried to sign up with a different ISP with no luck. I just do not seem to be getting any full connection. It gets opened but then nothing...

Any other ideas?

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

You do not say which operating system but you could try deleting the modem,shut down your pc and then re-start and hopefully plug/play will re-install the modem with the correct driver set.
    You could also,just for a sanity check run diagnostics on the modem just to see if it is really connecting properly.
    Also,have you tried another Juno dial-up # in your area,just to see if you have the same issue on another server.
    control panel/phone-modems/properties/diagnostics.
    You could also try decreasing the modem port speed.Next to the diagnostic tab mentioned above,there should be a modem tab,select it and you should see port speed.
    As a last resort,you could post a question up to Juno and see if they would have any recommendations as to a modem init string that you could try.Probably not,but worth a try.
    Good luck

5. Zina0707

Zina0707 Thread Starter

Sorry about that...I have XP. I thank you for the ideas...I will try that and see what happens. As for Juno they want to charge me $1.95/ min. to help! Even though I believe the problem stemed from them. I had them send me an upgrade dics for XP since I had been using the one for 98 for so long...I had to click through a bunch of errors but it worked! Since installing the dic it has been a nightmare. I have even had to do system restore almost everyother day!!! Just to keep it working. Now it will no longer restore. I may call them and demand that they help since that is when the trouble started.

Thank you...

6. Zina0707

Zina0707 Thread Starter

Ok..I did not answer all the questions from the last post...Sorry...
    I have PC doctor on my system and have run it several times. It says there are not problems with the modem! I have made sure all temp files have been cleared and did a disc clean up and defraged. Still no help.

I did change the dial up numbers as well when I could get in that far but that did not help either..

If none of these things work...and I go to roadrunner instead of dial up...since they will be installing a different modem will that fix it since I will no longer be using the dial up modem??

7. pedroguy

pedroguy

Still could do diagnostics using XP on the modem just to confirm that it is AOK.
    Also,a delete/re-install of the modem is the other option.Just make sure that plug/play is running as a system service.
    "Will going to roadrunner fix the problem"
    Probably,if this is really a modem problem and not some kind of networking/xp issue.

8. Zina0707

Zina0707 Thread Starter

THANK YOU!!! Ok..where would I look to be sure that plug/play is on?? I use to really get into the computer before I got married and well...have not been able to really spend the time with this one with XP to know what I am doing.

I will try this tonight and let you know tomorrow if it worked.

THANK YOU again..for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

Zina:
    start/run type in services.msc
    This will display a list of all system services and their status.Scroll down to plug/play and make sure that is active.Might want to make it an auto startup item as well if not already so.
    I will be out of town until Monday,but there are really great techs on this forum,so not to worry.

10. Zina0707

Zina0707 Thread Starter

Great...I will give it a try...Thank you again..I am so glad I found this forum site.

11. pedroguy

pedroguy

Just one other thing.If you delete and re-add the modem you may have to go back into Juno,select the connection tab at the top of the screen,make sure that connect using a modem is checked, select configure modem to make sure that your modem appears there,if not select manage modems and select it from there.This is how my release of Juno is set up,but your's may be a bit different,so you may have to hack with it a bit,but hopefully not too different.
    Now,once you think that you are connected,but do not see the Juno homepage(which after all this,I hope you will see),minimize your screen, don't logoff the net,so that you are back on your desktop and do
    start/run type in cmd
    On the resulting screen type in
    ping www.juno.com
    The response will tell you whether or not 4 test packets have reached their destination,Juno.
    If not,try another site ,ie ping www.yahoo.com and see if test packets are received there.
    This will at least tell you whether or not you really have a dialup internet session.
    Just a brain check.If you have any other application sharing this line/modem,like winfax,my experience has been that Juno does not share well.Just thought that I would cover that base also.
    Will try to check in when I get where I'm going.
    Good luck

12. pedroguy

pedroguy

Just another thought,and this one may be far out,but,if you have a firewall running,disable it and see if anything changes.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!