1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkSands1, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarkSands1

MarkSands1 Thread Starter

Hi, im mark, and in need of help.
    My dad's laptop was having trouble with its modem, so he uninstalled it, and tried to reinstall it, but now it wont let him reinstall. It says something about all components of the modem have not been removed, so you press the button that says "remove these items and re-install" or something like that, and the box just goes away. Thats it, nothing happens.
    I looked into device manager and it says my PCI Modem has problems, The drivers for it are not installed, but it still wont let me install them. Can i uninstall the PCI, and then try to re-install, or is it something important that wont be restored by my modem software?

Hope someone can help,
    Mark :eek:

2. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

Yes, you should go in and uninstall first, then shut down and reinstall when it comes back up.

3. MarkSands1

MarkSands1 Thread Starter

So just out of curiousity, what exactly is a PCI modem?

4. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

What a PCI modem means that your computer has slots that cards fit into. This means that the modem is one that fits internally into your computer in the slots deemed as PCI devices. Otherwise, it is not an external modem or one that is outside the computer that can operate from other outlets for your computer. Some operate from the USB port, etc. Hope that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice