1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by calibretto, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

ok... i'm not sure if this is on the hardware or software side. but here's the story:

i have a cable modem, so i'm connected to the net all the time. when i get home last night i right click my msn messenger and click sign in, only to get the message, "you are not currently connected to the internet.... etc." something like that. so i try internet explorer. maybe it's just messenger. amazingly, it's not just messenger and i can't load anything. i really have no internet connection. no messengers will connect and i can't load anything. but all the lights on my modem and blinking like normal. and everythings connected right.

so... i begin watching tv. about an hour and a half later i hear my msn messenger connect. so i try yahoo messenger. connects fine. so i load internet explorer. everything loads just fine.

then... about 2 hours later or so. my internet explorer performs some illegal operation and my whole computer freezes. so i have to restart. when i do and everything is loaded, i again have no connection. finally i got tired of it and went to bed.

and today when i woke up i'm apparently back on the internet.

can someone please explain to me why i sometimes don't have a connection, even tho i have a cable modem??

thanks

calibretto

2. Monk_

Monk_

You may be having trouble with your modem. Next time it goes down unplug the power and plug back in again. Or, the server and other equipment at the other end (the cable office) may be down due to failure of for maintenance. You can always call the provider and ask if they are having trouble.

3. calibretto

calibretto Thread Starter

i unplugged and re-plugged every line that's connected. and nothing helped.

calibretto

4. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Call your cable modem service provider.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60201

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice