1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem will not connect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Topazz, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

I am unable to dialup to the internet. The computer opens the port, tries to dial then displays the error message:
    "Disconnected... Error 628: The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed".

I have checked in Modem properties and the modem diagnostic query is successful with no errors reported. There are no exclamation marks in Hardware Device Manager and everything is reported as enabled and working.

The log file in Modem properties reports:
    "Opening the modem device failed with error 00000020".

I am at a loss as to what to do now. I don't have access to the modem drivers so am hesitant to remove the modem from Device Manager and reinstall it because the drivers on the web are older and sound a bit flaky.

Running Windows XP Home and the modem is a HSP56 MR by PCtel.

Any ideas please?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Has it ever worked?

Any noise on your phone lines? And are you dialing the right number, with area code if needed?

3. Topazz

Topazz Thread Starter

Yes, the modem was working until recently. The computer has had a few problems which resulted in a reinstall of Windows, which then caused a problem with the dialup options being unable to be accessed until SP1 was installed.

I have just disabled the internal modem and connected an external modem which has worked and has connected to internet OK. Maybe the internal modem is stuffed?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Possibly, or maybe its got the wrong driver installed for it or the driver is corrupt.

However most external modems outperform internal modems and do not push of the processing of many functions onto the CPU. If the external is a 56K modem then I'd continue using that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice