1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modem -> wireless router 1 -> pc -> cat5 -> wireless router? sad panda

Discussion in 'Networking' started by newtoallthis, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newtoallthis

newtoallthis Thread Starter

Ok lets get this started.

How you doing? Good? Great, glad to hear it.
    How am i doing you ask? mmmm... at the moment... im a sad panda.

Now to the topic at hand.

Short version:
    Im attempting to share my pc's usb wireless internet connection with a wireless router connected through my pc'sEthernet port. Is this even remotely doable?? I have done so much searching in the past few days that im starting to feel like im the only person in the english speaking world to have every attempted such thing. Hence.. the sad panda reference.

Why im even attempting to do such a ridiculous thing.

Short version:
    Im broke and cant afford new equipment or even a used repeater. At least for the time being and probably for a while with xmass on the way.

The setup.

My friend lives across the street. We decided about a year ago that there was no real reason for us both to be paying for a 25mbs connection when we could split the bill and one of us could just use my self build usb wireless antenna. We both only have one computer so the setup was perfect.

The problem that has decided to show its ugly face is that another friend of mine is giving me his old droid. The cell phone not an actual android. At&t being the wonderful company that they are would like to charge me 25$ a month for 2g of internet access. This is when the cheep wad in me slammed the brakes and said, "no way dude, you dont even pay that much for unlimited 25mbs cable internet".

So the cheep wad in me says to me, "k the droid has wifi. lets just use that". And of coarse i had to agree with myself. Then the new problem struck me..... im using a usb wifi adapter with a directional antenna to even get my computer connected.... sad panda first emerges.

Then we, myself and i, we decide that we will find a way to share or bridge a connection from the pc to the extra wireless router we have. We have failed.

I did manage to get an old smart phone that my girlfriend had to connect to the internet one time for about 10 seconds through said wireless router. Google.com works. I was under the assumption i had solved my sad panda dilemma. Alas, i was wrong.

What i have tried:
    Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected cat5 from Ethernet to wireless router wan port.
    -
    Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected cat5 from Ethernet to wireless router lan port 1.
    -
    Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected crossover cable from Ethernet to wireless router wan port.
    -
    Shared usb adapters connection through ICS connected crossover cable from Ethernet to wireless router lan port 1.
    -Have tried with said wireless router setting on default and also with dns on automatic on pc and wireless router and with dhcp on and off.
    -Have adjusted ip and subnet masks multiple times. So many times in fact that is would be useless for me to try to remember everything. auto/manual. Matching original wireless router, not matching.

As you can probably tell from reading this i am at a point where i just dont know what else to do. I can not find a single topic on the ENTIRETY of the internet of someone even asking if this is even possible. Let alone a way to do it. I would assume you would follow the same procedure you would with say, sharing your internet connection with an xbox or another pc. I know the fact that this is another router is whats complicating the matter. I just dont have the know how to fix the problem on my own.

If you have any idea how i can set this up, please let me know. Turn this sad panda's frown upside down :confused:.

And even if you dont have any idea how to help me out, thanks for taking the time to read my rant. ;) <-- faking that one.. im still a very sad panda...

Current Hardware:

Modem across the street- Surfboard
    Software Version: SB5120-2.19.0.13-SCM01-NOSH
    Hardware Version: 4
    MIB Version: II
    GUI Version: 1.0
    VxWorks Version: 5.4

Wireless router across the street- Belkin
    F5D8233-4v3(01)
    Firmware 3.01.10

My usb wireless adapter-
    Compact Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with SpeedBooster ver.2
    Driver version - 4.170.61.0

My Ethernet - NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet
    Driver version 67.8.9.0

Cat5 cable - also have a crossover cable

My wireless router - D-link WBR-1310

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 298588 MB, Free - 109598 MB; D: Total - 296527 MB, Free - 245120 MB;
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire X1700, ,
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated and Enabled

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Since we don't support sharing neighbor's wireless, we also don't help with problems trying to expand on that connection. Note that sharing like this is against the terms of service for your ISP. Think of it as stealing the monthly rental from the ISP.

Closed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice