1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem/wireless router suggestions for Xfinity

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dhcontreras615, Jul 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhcontreras615

dhcontreras615 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    What would be a good modem/router for xfinity? I have 250 mbps download speed. I am currently using a
    NETGEAR N600 (8x4) WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3700) in my 2 bedroom apartment which is little less than 1000 square feet. I got a letter from xfinity saying that I am not getting the most out of my internet speed. I do notice that my speed for downloads and such has been slower lately. I have had this modem/router since 2015 so I am sure its slowing down. I saw the list of what is compatible with xfinity but it is very overwhelming. Any suggestions for what would give me good download speed for streaming and strong wifi speed for multiple devices? Thank you.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you are planning to have or have an internet speed more than 340Mbps, then a change of modem would be highly recommended... having said that, if you are on your own (i.e. not sharing the connection with anyone else) then you don't need to go any higher.

The slowness can be multiple things. I would suggest looking into other things first before looking replacing the modem.

3. dhcontreras615

dhcontreras615 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Well my wife and I share wifi and we have multiple wireless devices and stream TV. I am not sure if my wireless strength is strong enough or if I have too many wireless devices running at the same time. I would like to up grade. Plus I am not sure if a combo modem/wireless router is the way to go or have separate modem and a wireless router?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, if it's just you and your wife, it shouldn't cause problems. If you don't need fancy configurations, a combo should be sufficent.

Does your devices show low signals? where is your wireless modem/router located?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230501

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice