1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem wont work!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChfTx, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

I have the same problem. I installed my hard drive on a different computer. It had a modem and worked great. My hard drive installed everything except the modem...doesn't even detect it. I swithed modems...same thing...no modem. It shows in device manager that it's working, but aol can't detect it and I can't get online with it...?????..Both modems are US Robotics 56K

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

In the control panel, modems, does it appear there?

If you go to diagnostics, more info, what appears there? Is it assigned a com port and IRQ?

3. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

Yes, my modem apears in control panel..modems and is assigned a com port..the only thing in device manager that is yellow exclamationed is..LTP printer port..I had to add the modem manually as neither win 98 or aol detected it

4. ~Candy~

Is it assigned an IRQ number? What does more info tell you? Happy things, or can't find modem?

5. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

modem is assinged port com 5, more info says it cannot open the port and there is no hardware located. before I swapped hard drives, both were working fine, modems and the whole enchilada, so to speak....this one has something against modems, and..well, we won't get into the other one yet...one at a time....btw, thanks

6. ~Candy~

Can you post your IRQ listing? Perhaps there isn't a free one for the modem to pick up.

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

Also, I'm going to split you into your own thread.

7. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

ok, I know this is confusing..I had to put the old hard drive in(which has a virus btw) and I was giving a bit of missinformation. This is the deal..I put my old modem back into the computer I got from my ex...cuz everything else exept the hard drive is much better than mine...this is where I can't find the modem..anywhere..it wont detect it and it's not in device manager.....I tried a couple of pc slots...same thing..it's in the original slot now....I can't paste IRQs (if they matter at this point), but here they are
    0 system timer
    1 standard 101/102 keyboard.......
    2 programmable interupt controller
    3communication port (COMM 2)
    4 " " (COMM 1)
    5 free
    8 system CMOS/real time clock
    12 PS/2 mouse port
    9 free
    10 free
    11 free
    13 numeric data processor
    14 standard IDE/ESDI hard disk controller
    15 " " " "

Everything else seems to be in order...Device manager says all is ok
    When I searched for the modem, windows checked comm 2 and 1...
    I do have more pci slots, but I've aleady tried one that's never been used and as I said, it's in the original....when I first got the computer, I checked it all out and all was ok..even got online with it, but since the switch...modem problem

am just trying to give you all the info you may need...I hope..

8. ~Candy~

Yes, that is confusing.....I think the hard drive swaps have definitely confused Windows and the computer's hardware. You have almost nothing appearing, no display adapter, no LPT1 port, it appears to be quite a mess.

In the device manager are there a variety of exclamation marks?

9. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

there are no exclamation marks

10. ~Candy~

Do you have the motherboard driver cd? I think those are going to need to be reinstalled. Does a display adapter appear in device manager?

11. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

I don't have the motherboard cd driver.....I don't know about the display adapter, I'll check when I get home tonight, I think so though

12. ~Candy~

Is it a name brand computer? If not, you're going to need to find motherboard information somehow.......any manuals that came with the computer perhaps?

13. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

I'll check, but not much hope..my ex's mom had it built for her by her tech guy at work a few years ago..not a brand name, but will try and get as much info as possible....
    It had a US Robotics 56 k modem in it, same as the one I installed, same one that I used with the hard drive...thought that would help...

14. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

display adapter appears in control panel..everything seems to be in device manager except the modem..

15. ~Candy~

You might try reinserting it again.

What model number is it?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice