modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

step22

Does the modem play a role in dial up speed? Are there any specific modem I can use in which I can get faster speeds? How can get faster dial up speeds? The icon on the right bottom states that my speed is 31.2 kbps but when I use speed meters online it states 24kbps which is the highest sometimes its lower. If I add ram can I get faster speeds?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
The modem, the phone lines, and the dialup service all play a part in the connection speed. 31.2 is a pretty low connection speed. Different modems will connect at different speeds and it all depends on the serive provider and the phones lines; there's no saying what modem will give you a better result. Personally I find PCtel based modems seem to give the highest speeds inthe areas where I work but that doesn't mean they'll work good for you. The quality of the phones lines is usually the biggest factor in a good or bad connection speed. Old wiring and long lines will limit you speed and the quality of the connection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online