1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modems 8MB/sec

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D.Arbib, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. D.Arbib

D.Arbib Thread Starter

I was assured by site info and e-mail that my venerable Speedtouch usb adsl modem would handle download speeds of (up to) 8 MB/sec. So went to Bulldog 8 MB/sec. But tests with ADSL Guide.org.uk and ABeltronica Telecom resulted in speeds of around 3MB/sec, confirmed by downloads which ran only 40 to 50% faster than my previous BT Openworld 2.2 MB/sec connection.

This induced me to examine forums and many confirmed that, they too, had found similar.

There was also information that a router would do the job. So ordered SpeedTouch 716WL in the hope that 8MB/sec is genuinely available.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, a router will do nothing to speed up the raw connection. If the modem really isn't up to the link speed, a router will not change that fact.

3. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

8 MB a sec is pretty fast, you probably won't see download speeds that fast from many servers, unless you have multiple downloads going from different servers simultaneously. It's possible that your speed test servers can't deliver that fast.

4. D.Arbib

D.Arbib Thread Starter

Not so much for downloads but for video and/or TV. But the point is that Bulldog claims 8MB/sec and so far only get 3MB/sec and looking at various forums I came to the conclusion that I needed a rather more up to date modem nad I have purchased Speedtouch top of the range. When connected I will report herewith.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice