1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modem's Power Adaptor Doesn't Work.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clue.07, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clue.07

Clue.07 Thread Starter

The power adaptor for my NTL cable modem doesn't work anymore. I know this because my modem would no longer power-up so I swapped the power adaptor from my speakers to my modem and my modem worked! So, I was wondering, where do I get another adaptor? Or is this up to Virgin Media to replace?

Note: It's a 10v OEM AC Adaptor.

Let me know if you need the model number etc.

2. hilton1234

hilton1234

hey, i had some trouble with our modem with virgin, now you should get the option from them get it replaced but note if you want this work within the next 3 months i would try and get one elsewhere lol.
    Try to get one from them but don't expect them to get it 2 you very fast, if it is just the same as you speaker power can you not just find one at MAPLINS etc? or your local electrical store..?

3. Clue.07

Clue.07 Thread Starter

I was planning on going to try Maplins, but I would reckon one of these adaptors could cost in the region of £20? I'm not totally sure though. I don't think it's the same as my speaker adaptor, the connection is the same but the speaker adaptor's output is 12V, making it 2V higher than the modem's adaptor. I don't know if this makes any difference? For all I know I could be on my way to burning the modem out!

4. hilton1234

hilton1234

yeah not sure that it is probably doing it any good if its only designed for 10v, not sure how much its gonna cost, but if you cant get from virgin or cant wait then its kinda your only option. i don't think your gonna have to buy a special one for modems etc i think they are all kinda the same, just make sure it is 10v etc all the same as the one you have if you see what i mean. i use the same power connection on my free-view as my aerial they are both exactly the same V etc just in different cases.
    if in doubt maplins is probably your best bet.

5. Clue.07

Clue.07 Thread Starter

I got a universal adaptor from Maplins for £10 today. It works, but it it doesn't support 10v, however, the guy that works there said that won't matter and that the modem will only pull the power it needs from the adaptor. Is this true?

Edit: This adaptor seems to be very very hot to the touch. Now, I know most adaptors can go warm, but this one is a lot hotter than the last, is it safe?

6. hilton1234

hilton1234

Erm to be honest I'm not sure? When i had to get another power adapter i got exactly the same V etc that i needed. surely if it doesn't support 10v then its not right, but if the maplin guy said it was ok then i would go with it. About the heat thing i would probably refer to the manufacturer or again maplins, none of mine get HOT as such they get warm yes but not HOT to touch. sorry its pretty unhelpful but if in doubt just give who ever you bought it off a good yelling at and see what they have to say.

7. colzboppo

colzboppo

Sounds like the guy at Maplins didn't have a clue.

First you need to find out not just the voltage supply of the old adapter, but also its amp rating and your NTL boxes power rating.

Basically your power adapter is hot because it has more power being drawn through than it can handle, and either the adapter fuse/insides will blow or some of the better designed will simply cut out instantly. You can tell when this happens if you try an adapter out on something and the power flashes on and off constantly.

You will need a power adapter that can handle sufficient Voltage and sufficient Amp rating to deliver the power your modem uses.

By using the simple relationship: Watts = Volts x Amps

And a simple example, lets say your modem uses 20 watts of power, and this is at 10 volts.
    It will draw a current rated at 2 amps through the adapter. Supplying it with less volts will put additional strain on the power supply and increase the current over 2 amps (hence the heat).

Most cheaper adapters are capable of anywhere between 300mA to 1000mA at 10v, which will basically mean they will burn out over time (personally seen one adapter last only 3 hours before going pop) or not function correctly at all.

So check online for the power specification for your NTL box, or if you still have the old power adapter, look at its amp rating, perhaps you can find an indication of the power usage of the box in a manual or on the device. Once you know either the volt and ampage, or volt and power usage in watts you can use the relationship to figure out the correct rating you need the adapter to supply.

Check out eBay for a deal, or be prepared to spend upwards of £10 for a correctly rated power adapter.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice