Modems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Difficult question as there is so much involved with the answer.. I would fathom that the highest would be 115.2Kbps.. But that's not sustained and with compression.. Here's a data sheet on throughput of modems using different standards and compression.

http://kb.indiana.edu/data/aand.html

That is a very vague question, with many possible answers!
It dependes on:
-what your ISP provides and supports
-conditions of phone lines
-capabilities of your modem
-compression use
- many more variables!

A generic answer would be 56k

That is a very vague question, with many possible answers!
It dependes on:
-what your ISP provides and supports
-conditions of phone lines
-capabilities of your modem
-compression use
- many more variables!

A generic answer would be 56k

elmer

Gotrootdude and Rayman

Should have more specific.

Not considering conditions of phone lines:

I have an XP 1.5 GHZ P4 with internal modem that operates at speed of 115.2.

And I have a 98 SE 200 mhz mmx with internal modem of 33.6.

What I should have asked is what is the maximum speed a for a dial-up modem on the 200 Mhz computer?

Thanks for your quick replies.

elmer

Not considering conditions of phone lines:

I have an XP Pentium 4 1.5 GHZ with internal modem that operates at speed of 115.2.

And I have a 98 SE Pentium 200 mhz mmx with internal modem of 33.6.

Does any one know the maximum speed a for a dial-up modem is on the Pentium 200 Mhz computer?

Thanks for your quick replies.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The typical V.90/92 modem has a maximum speed of 56kb under ideal connection conditions. In the USA, it's limited by tariff to something like 50.4kb, I forget the exact figure. I've run 56kb modems at 46-50kb on MS-DOS on 386 machines, so I doubt your P200 will have much of an issue. ;)

Obviously, stuff like ISDN changes the picture, it's 64kb single channel, and 128kb dual channel. DSL and ADSL are all over the map, dependent on the service supplier, the distance to the CO, the size of your wallet, etc. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online