1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modems??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysi, Dec 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

In simple terms, what is a hardware modem and what makes it different from other types of modem. What is the general recommendation about the "best" to buy??

Thanks for any help

Tony

2. rhettman5

rhettman5

Hi

A hardware modem is part of your motherboard and as such is simply there, you can't remove it, but, you can still add another modem and use it instead.

The problem with hardware modems is they use your system resources instead of being self contained.

You can install a external modem, which is easy, or if you have a place for it, a internal Modem

Usually external modems will connect through your serial port (usb is another option, but not as good)

I have been told by others at this site that a US Robotics 56k V90 faxmodem external is a good choice, I am sure there are others.

I hope this helps......Rhett

3. swwelsh

swwelsh

I think you mean hardware vs. software based modems, a hardware modem (internal or external) has its own com (serial) port which handles the transfers. A software based modem (winmodem) creates a 'virtual' port and uses the processor of the computer to handle transfers. You need about a P166 or better to use a software modem, and some are only usable in windows. Both will perform about the same, software modems are cheaper but prone to driver problems and installation hassles. I usually opt for a cheap hardware modem, you can get an internal ISA hardware modem for under $40 around here, an external for around $60. Most new computers will have a cheap pci winmodem installed, these go for as little as $8. Stay away from PCTel winmodems, Motorola, USR, Conexant, seem to work OK

4. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

I agree with swwelsh.

Harware modems are a must for using other operation systems besides windows!!

A lot of isa modems are hardware modems.

very few pci modems are harware modems.

All external serial modems are hardware modems which is what you should get.

zoom v.92 3049 external modem is a good choice. (around $80)

however, creative has a internal pci hardware modem.

The di5633 v.92 pci. Even though it is technically a hardware modem, it is a pci modem which can be iffy in linux. I am still trying to get confirmation that this modem works in linux. If it does, that is cool because it only cost $39. Creative doesn offer a driver for linux, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work in linux, bsd,qnx, and beos.

If anyone know of any v.92 pci harware modems that work in linux, let me know pleese!

~~found some more info on the di5633. My info on the di5633 not being a winmodem looks to be wrong. The place where I found the specs will be hearing from me once I get confrimation.

and rhettman5, you are right though, onboard modems suck!

bottom line, go for an external modem with a good serial cable.

5. rhettman5

rhettman5

Darn, and I thought I new that one, anyway, I replaced my Pac Tell winmodem with a US Robotics some time ago, and it works much better...Rhett :eek:

6. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Thanks guys - these help a lot

Cheers

Tonysi

7. ezymony

ezymony

I can vouch for the pctel modem had one that lasted about 6 months not good hardware at all

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice