1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Modern Motherboards question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bumbledor, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Ok, its been since 1994, since Ive put together a bare bones system and this thing needs upgrading BADLY.

Ive been looking at mother boards over on tiger direct. Seems to me most of the new stuff has built in Video cards, sound cards, and few if any expansion slots.

Do all the boards come this way now, or are those the boards made for people who are the newbies to computers?

I do play online games like Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, so I need a MB that has great graphics and sound capiblities. On this system here, I have a Seperate Vid card and a sound blaster card, with the mother boards built in sound system disabled. I also have a wireless lan card in there.

So compairing this to what i might need, Im thinking at least 3 to 4 expansion slots, but that doesn't seem to be the norm on the new MB's im seeing..

Any suggestions, or comments to bring me up to date on the more modern Mother Boards would be help full.

Thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

All boards [or almost all] come with onboard sound and nic. Both of these work fine so there is no need for a sound card or nic card.

Next some boards do come with onboard video however many do not. Almost all of the ones that do come with onboard video also have a pci-e slot for a real video card.

First decide on what cpu you want ie AMD or Intel and we can go from there with parts recommendations.

3. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Im looking at AMD, as thats what I have on this old kt600A MB.
    Its been good, but Ive heard that some of the microsoft windows updates can cause it to crash. Despite that its been a great MB and chipset for me.

Ive have both Intel and AMD. Both work equaly well, for what I do.

I use my desktop for gaming, spreadsheets, home video processing (coverting,etc), and I use my laptop for when im on the road, doing email, and sometimes doing video processing when I cannot do it on the desktop. The laptop is an Intel chip.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do make sure you add a quality pw supply to the list as well.

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Definitely, I have found the OCZ to be a very good PSU, not as expensive as a good Corsair, but just as good for most systems.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I tried to check earlier however the gigabyte site was down. You will need bios F3 or later for that cpu. Current bios is F4 with a beta release also F5A. If you have another earlier cpu sitting around, no problem. If not, then you would need to make sure the board shipped with a bios that will support that cpu.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!