1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

modify registry

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by nomad, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

I have modified my registry to run a batch file from the drop down context menu when you right click on any blank area. What I would like to do know is distribute this to my coworkers in the form of a batch file or a .reg file so all the have to do is double click and it would modify their registry by adding a key called testing then a subkey under that called command then data value to be “D:\Users\%username%\Desktop\BatchFiles\test.bat” The following is what I have so far but keep getting the error “The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from with the registry editor.”

reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\testing" /f
    reg add "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\testing\command" /f /d “D:\Users\%username%\Desktop\BatchFiles\test.bat”

Can anyone help me with this?

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

i think you need to take the quotes away from everything except the value to be added. the one i have here is like that anyway. here it is, and the flags don't match yours, but i am not a scripting guy, i would google it myself.

reg add HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy /v "EnableAutoUpdateCheck" /t REG_SZ /d dword:00000000 /f

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1145008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice