Modifying locale.nls

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

EX_CIRNO

So, I was fooling in my Windows XP to change the regular day names around, from 'Monday' to 'Mundane' or something like that. So far, I've kinda figured out that I'll have to edit some locales in locale.nls (maybe) in a non-Notepad hex editor to properly change it. But that's when I got stuck.

Well, after backing up the original to 'locale.nls.backup', editing locale.nls and rebooting, I found out that the calendar have been garbled up with unreadable characters, and every single day in the week have its name messed up too. I have since restored the backup to return it to normal, but I got curious.

So, my question is, are there any proper way to modify/make a custom locale without ever screwing up like that? Or is there any slightly easier way to do it?

My Tsunday Sunday awaits.

---
EDIT: I edited the files via Ubuntu's GHex, does it still count as a Windows XP 'problem'?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts