1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Module GDI.EXE error message.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by AlleyBoy, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlleyBoy

AlleyBoy Thread Starter

Hi Folks; Perhaps some one can advise as to how I can solve the following:
    Regardless of what program I am running, I will eventually get an error msg. stating that the program has caused a "general protection fault in GDI.EXE."
    This leads to the blue screen of death, a freeze-up, and having to reboot by using the reset botton to start over. I have updated Win, run Defrag, NAV, etc. as well as Spybot and Ad-Aware to no avail. They have discovered and deleted some garbage, but the problem continues. Am running WinMe on an AMDK-6 with 66% free memory. Please advise. Thk-U.

2. TOGG

TOGG

This is a quote from an article I found;

"General Protection Fault is the catch-all for a protection violation that does not fall in another category. Several types of problems are included under this heading. The problem may be in Windows, an application, or a driver. Program updates or driver updates are the most common solutions"

Have a look at this MS KB article about using Dr Watson to try and diagnose the problem;http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/windows/topics/errormsg/kbgpf.asp

3. AlleyBoy

AlleyBoy Thread Starter

Thk-U Sr. Togg. Will attempt your suggestion.

4. TOGG

TOGG

I hope you make some progress following the advice in the MS article because, if that doesn't help, you will be looking at a process of trying to eliminate various bits of software one at a time, until you find the one(s) causing the problem.

Copy/pasting any future error messages you get into Notepad could help, as you can then post the full text here and/or into Google.

Assuming you get this sorted soon, you might need to check out this MS Security Bulletin about a flaw in the GDI+ process to ensure that you are fully patched against any exploits;http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-028.mspx ME does not appear to be directly affected but, if you have IE6 SP1 there is a patch available, and if you have any of the programs listed in this bulletin, you could be affected.

In case you're not certain about some of these programs, there is a tool you can d/l which will check your system for affected programs but doesn't 'fix' them. I got the IE patch and used the checking tool and I'm clear.http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;873374

I am NOT suggesting that there is any linkage between your problem and the potential security problem with GDI. Yours appears to be an internal software problem while the security issue is about possible external attacks. It's just a coincidence that both concern GDI (I assume!).

5. AlleyBoy

AlleyBoy Thread Starter

Sr. Togg; As per your suggestion, Dr. Watson advised that part of some program may have been deleted in the past, that I should reinstall WinMe in order to recover. I have attemped to do so but to no avail. When the installation is about 65% complete, it freezes up with another error msg. in VERX.DLL At another time Dr. Watson advised that Win System files in module ATMSYS.DRV have been altered. Am using IE 5.5 which has been updated, but will check the bulletins as you suggest. Thk-U again.

6. TOGG

TOGG

If you have started on a reinstall, I assume that any Restore points you might have had have been lost (ME does have a Restore function doesn't it?). If so, I suppose you can't now restore your system to a date before your problem started.

If you Google 'VERX.DLL' you will find lots of entries, but this one seems to be particularly relevant;http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winme/t1050614670 Do you have Windows Media Player installed?.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!