1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

mom.exe

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cujo668, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

When I start XP pro on my desktop, the first thing that pops up after I log on is a window that says "MOM.exe" failed to initialize.....then my computer freezes. I figured it was a virus maybe, so I reinstalled XP, put anti-virus software on immediately after, and I still got the same message and it still freezes up. Any suggestions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try installing the latest ATI driver for your display adapter.

3. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

what if I can't do anything because the computer freezes quickly upon restart?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Can you get into Safe Mode?

5. ODIN 0ERO

ODIN 0ERO Guest

According to this its spyware:
    Code:
    [SIZE="4"][B]http://www.symantec.com/smb/security...013-99&tabid=2[/B][/SIZE]
    From bottom of page:
    # Runs silently and takes screenshot periodically or when it detects certain keywords.

# The risk's main interface is accessible by executing the program and entering a password. Both time interval between screenshots and keywords can be configured.

(( I would try to verify the same or similar files and registry keys exist first though, since you might have the 3D Model of Moscow or other legitimate software installed:

Code:
    [B][SIZE="4"]http://www.mom.ru/Engl/Moredetails.htm[/SIZE][/B]

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's a possibility, but mom.exe is also a legitimate part of the ATI driver set.

cujo668: If you can get into Safe Mode, try running Autoruns to determine the origin of the startup. If it is the ATI folder, it's OK.

If you already are using the most recent ATI driver, you could try uninstalling and using the next previous one.

7. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

I got into safe mode (w/ networking) and I put in the driver cd that came with my graphics card...I know they are old and crummy drivers but its the fastest way to get some decent drivers on there...it froze up during the process of installation. I tried getting into safe mode again, but it it stuck at loading Mup.sys. So now what do I do?

8. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

now it is running some kinda check disk thing.....(windows related?)

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you make it back into Safe Mode, uninstall all the ATI software and reboot before installing new drivers.

10. cujo668

cujo668 Thread Starter

It won't let me back into safe mode or any other mode....Any last suggestions? Thanks for the help so far.

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try booting from the XP CD and running chkdsk from it. If you don't have a CD, you can make one by burning this XP Recovery Console CD image.

What happens when you try Safe Mode or Last Good?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!