Moment in Time

ekim68

Mike
I just heard an old song from back in my younger days...It reminded me of where I was at, when I heard it....Anyone else have a song that takes them
back?

(By the way, the song by 'Procol Harem' and reminded me about my college days.) (As usual, I probably spelled something wrong.)

Thinking of a couple songs from Spongebob will always and forever remind me of my crush headbanging to them on the bus ride to Busch Gardens. :D XD

ekim68

Mike
What do you mean "crush headbanging"? Is that like 'background music'?

"Nights in White Satin" by Procol Harum?

For me it is "Runaway" by Del Shannon... Takes me back to a night in 1961...

Boston's More Than a Feeling...Teenager...summer...new girls at the resort....nuff said!!

Rockn said:
Boston's More Than a Feeling...Teenager...summer...new girls at the resort....nuff said!!
Now that you mention it, Any Boston song brings back memories for me, because every Sunday morning my dad puts Boston on his stereo. And also, they were playing Boston on the radio in the hospital when I was born. :)

Sooky 47

Gone and dearly missed
For me it's: I Can See Clearly Now, by Johnny Nash

It can still transport me back 33 years ago! :)

Actually, there are a lot of songs that take me back to some particular moment or time in my life...

... 'you've seen the difference and it's getting better all the time' ... ah, yes, bad hair, worse clothes. Most of my pals from those days are respectable looking parents now, I sure love digging those pictures out!

Was your Procol Harum song 'A Whiter Shade of Pale'?? .. I'm sure that 'Nights in White Satin' was the Moody Blues. I was lucky enough to attend many great concerts as a young girl, with my step-dad (seems strange to call him that, he's the man that raised me) .. Moody Blues was one I had to beg for! He had great taste and a record collection to match. When I hear an old song on the radio, and it finishes, I often hear the next song that followed on the record (in my head) - ever get that?!

To answer your great question, Ekim .. just about all songs that are old enough do that for me now. That is, if I played them enough, or they were always on the radio. It's amazing, that I can hardly remember some of these times, but when a song like that comes on, it takes me right back, with all the details. I spent all my pocket money on candy & 45's .. there are so many! Hmmm, 'Dust in the Wind', my first 'depression'. Might have been 10, relatively new to Canada and my new best friend had just broken his arm (& I felt sad for him), lol. 'Love a Rainy Night' (ugh), Eddie Rabbit??: The years my Mum drove me out daily to see to/ride my horse. Living near Vancouver, I guess that song was a given.

Sorry those are 2 bad songs! I've got one eye on this Live-8 ... can't believe it's been 20 years! Thought I'd stop lurking, and say hi, ekim .. from this pc you helped to get running so perfectly :)

My favorite song of all time, of course....Del Shannon's 'Runaway'. Hearing it for the first time made me realize I was Mad as a Hatter....and not really mind much.

I guess the second one would be "I Wish It Would Rain" by the Temptations. In a way, that song, or at least the boy who sang it for me, saved my life, I think. I believe it was 1968 ( might have been '67) and I was anorexic. I was down to 83 pounds and in high school, either as a Junior or Senior, since I'm unsure of the year. I had figured out that what was required to stay popular was to stay beautiful...and thin....and as long as I kept my mouth shut and didn't let my peers know my IQ was near 200, and kept my body thin and my face blank and smiling, that I could make everybody love me. Boys didn't date smart girls, just the pretty ones. I was pretty, or so they said, but nobody liked a "brain." Lots of first dates. Always. Not many second ones, though. I had to learn to SAY little, and STAY little.

But my body betrayed me and I began to suffer from my obsession with beauty and the requirements of being part of "the in crowd". I hadn't eaten in 39 days and had only drank Tab. I had been kicked out of cheer leading for falling down constantly and kicked off the basketball first string as a forward for passing out during a big game.

I went to sleep that day during a Sociology class and was given detention and kept after school. The only other person there in the empty classroom was a huge black football player named Louie. Integration was only during it's infancy at our small town high school and only about 30 blacks had been bussed to our school over a four year trial period. Louie was one of them. I didn't know him but had seen him on the football field.

So, dizzy from dehydration and no food, I went back to sleep in detention. The boy, Louie, woke me up by tapping my arm and he placed a cold canned Pepsi in front of me and a pack of cheese crackers that he had went and got for me from the vending machines next to the gym. He said he had noticed that I had lost some weight and asked me if I was sick or anything. I lied, of course, and said no. He started talking and asked me what was my favorite song right then and I said "I Wish It Would Rain." He grinned and said "Hey, you really like that kind of music? You like the Temps?" and then he began to sing the song for me. It was beautiful. He had a really good voice and even did a little Temps/Tops dance in the isle next to my desk.

Without realizing it, I had opened the Pepsi, and eaten two of the cheese crackers. Immediately I said excuse me, as he had finished the song, and started to go to the restroom, meaning to gag until I could upchuck the crackers and Pepsi. He must have somehow known, as he touched my arm very gently and said, "Don't keep killing yourself to please other people. You're the prettiest girl in this whole school, white or black. And remember, beauty is in the heart and soul, not just your body."

The bell rang and Louie opened the door for me and we both went home, going our separate ways.

Louie never said anything else to me at school and made no attempt to act like he even knew me or had ever spoken to me. But sometimes I would catch him looking at me in the halls and he always looked at me as if we shared a secret.

Although I didn't completely stop being anorexic for many years, I did go home and eat that day. I think if I hadn't, I would have most likely just passed away in my sleep some night.

I still love that song.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online