1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Momentary freezes followed by blocky graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by Random101, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Random101

Random101 Thread Starter

Hey.

I'm currently getting this problem with Rome: Total War, though I've had it with a number of games over the past few months, namely Civilization IV and Morrowwind. It occurs more frequently with Rome. With Civilization IV and Morrowwind I could often play for many hours without it occuring at all.

What happens is that after Ive played for a random period of time, the game suddenly freezes for a few seconds. Once it unfreezes, the graphics have gone all fuzzy. If I restart the pc and get back into the game, the problems gone, but it happens again after a random period of time. I dont know if it could be overheating, because if it happens, and I restart the pc and get back in the game immediately, it'll be gone. If I close the game and dont restart the pc, wait a few hours, then start the game up again, the graphics will still be fuzzy. I have to restart the pc to get rid of it.

I've got a geforce FX5600. Updated the drivers. Tried going to an earlier driver as well. Tried updating directX.

this is what happens to the graphics:

[​IMG]

2. Blink182

Blink182 Banned

They look ok to me...

3. Random101

Random101 Thread Starter

Maybe it's hard to see from the screenshots but those white spots all over the screen aren't part of the game, and they move around while I'm playing.

Underclocking my video card seems to have stopped the crashes though. I guess that means it's a hardware problem. I should probably start saving up for a new GFX card.

4. Jones

Jones

All indications are that it's a heat problem. I used to have the same problem when playing Star Wars: Battlefront II. I upgraded the fan and heatsink on my video card, and it became much more stable. I suspect that if underclocking your card fixed the issue, your machine is getting too hot at stock speeds. I'd invest in more cooling equipment for your machine, as that is typically a much less expensive way to get more life out of your system.

Of course, the other option as you mentioned is to start upgrading your components, but keep in mind that you still need to keep your machine cool, and would likely need to get a better cooling setup anyway.

5. Random101

Random101 Thread Starter

Sorry I'm only replying now but haven't checked back in a while. Thanks for the advice. I should look at getting some better cooling equipment, especially since I suspect my secondary hard drive might be having overheating problems as well. Don't know if hard drives get overheating problems but every now and then the computer just stops detecting the secondary hard drive, as if it ceased to exist, and I have to turn the computer off and on for it to pick it up again (simply restarting doesn't help, have to actually shut down).

Dunno how I would get new cooling equipment though because I don't think there's any space in the case for more fans :( I think there's one place for a small fan at the back but that's about it.

6. bobcooley

bobcooley

I think this is a combination of a Heat Issue with this Specific family of Graphics Cards.

I have the geforce FX5500, and my Battlefront II freezes for a few seconds with the music playing, then without the music for a couple seconds, then it either goes back to normal play, or sometimes loses my connection on remote games.

VERY frustrating. I am running the latest driver (9.1.3.1) so there is no more current driver update to fix this (as of 7/27/06)

It's either time to replace video cards, or figure a way to cool the current one donw significantly.

7. Jones

Jones

I had the exact same problem with my old FX5200 card. The problem was the fan/heatsink wasn't adequate to cool the card.

I bought this:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=674628&CatId=498

And the problem stopped immediately.

The one I got doesn't specifically say it will fit a 5500, but this one does:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1407919&CatId=0

Might be worth the small investment. It sure made my BF2 run alot better on my old system.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482126

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice