1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Moms computer sat, now won't even boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bumbledor, Oct 18, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Ok, my mom had a medical issue and ended up staying at sis's house for 5 months. They left her desktop plugged in, so it had power. Now it won't start.

Asus M3A78EM Mother board.
    4 Gig ram, windows 7.
    450 watt Power supply.
    2 500G WD drives, 1 CD drive

Can't even get this thing to beep.

Have a Cooler master fan in the front with lights.
    Have another in back with lights, model A12025-20RB-3BN-F1

I plug it in. Turn on power supply. there are 2 Colored LEDS that turn on, one on MB one on a Card reader adapter.

I press start. I can feel HD's spinning.
    The front fan is connected to power supply.
    The rear fan is connected to MB at chassis fan connection, and it flashes off. On for a few seconds, then shuts off then goes back on.

I thought a power supply problem, so I broke out my 500 watt spare PS that I know is good. Got same results.

Tried clearing the Cmos ram clock according to the MB manual.. Got nothing. Changed battery, and did it again, nothing.

Disconnected every drive.. nothing. Slowly added drives, nothing. Did each drive separately , nothing.

There are no extra plugged in cards. Just the mother board and 2 memory cards..

Ok, just tried something.. got some strange results. I unplugged the rear fan from the MB, and plugged it into the Power supply feeds. Worked perfectly light stayed on.. But when plugged into the mother board it seems a bit weak, and flashes.

Im starting to think the motherboard took a major crash unless I can get that cmos to boot.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  2. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Ok lets mark this one Solved.. how? I have NO idea.

After posting this last post, I decided to remove the memory chips and check the slots for dust. I reinstalled them, and the silly thing beeped.. so I hooked up my monitor to it and it boots now.

Somewhere along the line, I did something that made the boot happen.
    The fan in the back is steady, so is the light.

Go figure.

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    Likely had loose memory modules. It happens a lot. Glad you got it sorted.

4. lynx1021

lynx1021

When a computer sits up the contacts of everything that plugs in can get slight corrosion/resistance on them. Best thing to do with a computer that has been sitting up is to re-plug all the connections, memory, GPU, power cables sometimes even the CPU, this has a cleaning effect.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice