1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Money 2005 restore

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by penbol, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. penbol

penbol Thread Starter

I have had to re-install XP and Money and therefore needed to restore backup file.

I have plenty of backup files to choose from it, Money refuses to restore. I keep getting up window stating cannot open a) R/O file, b) no permission, C) Write pro. disk.

I have reclaimed ownership since re-install, I am the administrator, and can write to all disks...... Anybody got any more thoughts on this?

Thanks

Adrian

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Did you copy one of these restore files to the hard drive before performing the restore?

3. penbol

penbol Thread Starter

erm... My hard drive was/is split into three, My Docs - Program Files - Windows XP. i only restored the XP files and reloaded money to XP drive. so the original backup was still there.

I think the problem is still with ownership of this file. I can change it from read only but when i look at its properties again it has reverted back to Read only

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So the backup file is still on the hard drive? I don't know where MS Money stores its files by default, but Quicken stores them in C:\Program Files, and unless that path is changed and that partition is wiped out, so is the file.

If you have the actual data file on another partition, then you don't perform a restore. You simply open the file. A restore is only done when you've created an actual backup of the file. It sounds like you didn't do that.

5. penbol

penbol Thread Starter

I tried to open the backup file and do the money restore. It asks for a place to save the restored file. When i tell it which place it says it cannot find the file... Poss cos its R/o or write protect or i dont have permission which is where i came in at the beginning of this thread

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. penbol

penbol Thread Starter

A big thank you for that.... The bit I had missed was the turning off the file sharing

Really... Thanks...

Adrian

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice