1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moniter display with white lines and blurry screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hiepnhieu9, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hiepnhieu9

hiepnhieu9 Thread Starter

Hello,

My Sony Vaio recently started acting up. I've been using this laptop for a couple years now and works perfectly fine. All of a sudden, it started showing white line and blurry display whenever I turn on the computer. I have tried to "drain power battery" but didnt work. When I plug it with an external monitor, it works perfecly fine with that external monitor. I have tried to take out the RAM and clean it and put it back in, however doesn't seem to work. Is the RAM my problem? Maybe replacing a new RAM will fix it? I'm a student with a tight budget and cant afford to buy a new RAM without knowing if it work. I was wondering if you guys can come up with a solution. That would be appreciated. Thank you for your timing and have a nice day!

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Since an external Monitor works ok I think the problem is either the cable from the motherboard to the screen is damaged or has worked loose in the connector at one end, or the screen is faulty.

Was the laptop dropped or knocked recently ?

There are several models of pcg-71913L as shown here :- https://esupport.sony.com/p/model-find.pl?DIRECTOR=DOCS&mdl=PCG-71913L

So see if you can find which one you have, if it's not on a label on the bottom tap the F2 key just after switching on and look in the Bios.

3. hiepnhieu9

Hello, I did dropped a few times but was still able to use the laptop perfectly fine. I did not drop it recently. The night before I found out my laptop problem, it was working pefectly fine.

Is there anything I can fix by myself rather than bringing it to a shop or buy a new laptop?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Please try to find the exact model you have.

You can check if the screen end of the cable has moved at all using this video as a guide :-

5. hiepnhieu9

My exact model is : VPCEH25FM
    I'm not sure exactly whats the problem of my laptop or what you want me to try. I apologize for that. Can you please explain one last time? Thank you so much

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for the model details, this is the Sony webpage for your model if you ever need drivers, manuals etc :- https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/mode...te_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

I think it could be a faulty screen or a cable problem, either one end has worked loose or the cable is damaged.
    Does moving the screen back and forth make any difference to the faulty display ?

First if you don't feel confident you can do the stuff below that's fine. Take it to a small computer repair shop if you can, they usually do a better job than the big outfits like Geeksquad etc.

In the video at around 8:35 he reconnects the video cable to the screen, that's the connection I said could be checked on yours.
    See the pictures here of a correct and incorrect screen cable connection :-
    http://www.laptoprepair101.com/you-replaced-broken-lcd-screen-but-the-new-screen-is-not-working/
    If the plug isn't fully into the socket carefully push it back in, only unpeel the tape if it's really necessary.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice