1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Moniters and Magnetic Fields

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Biddlesby, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

Very recently I noticed that the colour was a bit odd on the left hand side of my moniter. To test if it was the moniter or the graphics card i found another moniter, put it on the floor near the pc and observed it with a block of plain red. The red faded into a orangy colour need the left side (the right side of the moniter was nearest the pc btw). To get a second opinion I called someone upstairs to look at it. I turned it towards them so they could see it and the left side went fine.

So, i turned the moniter to face the pc and the problem worsened on the left side. I put the moniter very close to the PC and the left side faded into black and white. What is wrong? I'm assuming a magnetic field from the PC but I have never noticed it before. I could buy a screen but I want to know why the computer is creating such a large field. Will it be affecting me? Damaging anything? Surely a hard drive couldn't cope with an external magnetic field? Please enlighten me.

[edit] with the other moniter when i turned it to face the computer the problem got worse. However, my moniter on my desk - when I turn the moniter toward the computer the colour distortion goes away.

[edit2] I tried moving things around. I unplugged my subwoofer and put it in the corner, moved the PC and the moniter away. Nothing happened. However, I plugged the second moniter in again without the subwoofer near it and the problem had gone. I moved the subwoofer near the screen and it distorted it. Obviously the large magnetic core in the subwoofer was distorting the other screen in the first place. So the other screen is ok.

However, my VDU is still coloured slightly odd on the left. I've been to some (squashed in) lan parties recently so it may have been damaged then. Degaussing doesn't help.

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

cooling fans may be???? if you deguase your monitor that should clear it up

3. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

I've tried degaussing and nothing happens. My PC doesn't seem to be emmitting a large magnetic field like i thought (and feared) before. I think it's damage to the moniter from a LAN party. It's an old daewoo moniter and i've been told by a VDU 'expert' that it is a terrible model. I want to get a TFT anyway (see this thread).

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Unless you are willing to spend some serious money on a TFT monitor they are not really the best for on line gaming. Or gaming in the first place. Unless of course you consider video poker and yahtzee as gaming. A new CRT flat screen monitor will be better than a TFT monitor. And for much less you can get a much better gaming monitor. Probably like a nice 19 inch or even 20 inch from a major manufacturer.

5. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

Sounds fair enough. Can you recommend me one?

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Well let me see, you could get a new View sonic or even a Sony each for less than a tft monitor. I will go look for a model

7. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

Thank you. I would like a 19" flat CRT. I'm not good with moniters....

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Now go price a 19"tft monitor and be very very shocked.

I just discovered that Sony no longer makes a retail 19" monitor for under 2000 bucks! I am shocked at that Sony trinitron monitors used to be great!

11. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

I have a KDS X-FLAT 19" monitor that I purchased at office depot for $149...It works great and is fast enough for gaming.

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I use a KDS X17F and I am very happy with it. BUt I am not a gamer. Wouldnt know which end of a joystick to watch out for!

13. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

Thanks for the links dustyjay

I am a gamer. But I also like making graphics, and a bit of coding here and there.

As aforementioned - I know nothing about moniters. Does 'flat crt' refer to the screen being flat, or has it got anything to do with the depth of the moniter. I presume the former.

Also - I am british. I would prefer british prices as I am always doubting the companies conversion calculations - and, of course, somebody who ships to britain. But i'll look around for those models. Sony seems good.

14. Biddlesby

Biddlesby Thread Starter

15. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Acacia , sometimes you have to give your tube some time to recover from exposure to magnetic fields.

Make sure no magnetic sources are nearby & give it a couple of days.

" if you wait long enough , all problems wil dissapear ;) "

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice