1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor and/or video display problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kafru, Jan 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kafru

kafru Thread Starter

I have an older PIII Tangent computer which will not recognize the monitor. It continues to display “no signal” on the monitor despite any of the steps I’ve taken. The machine was running Windows 98SE when it last worked. Here are the things I have already checked.
    1. I unconnected everything removed all cards except the video card and turned it on.
    2. I replaced with new memory and reseated the memory modules after checking each one individually.
    3. I removed and replaced the CMOS battery with a new one.
    4. I swapped out the monitor with a known good one.
    5. I replaced the video card with a brand new one which was also a AGP version compatible with w98SE.
    6. I even replaced the video card with an older PCI card using the PCI only slot.

I usually don’t have any problems with determining the problem and replacing the hardware, but this time however, I am stumped. The only thing I can figure is the PCI/AGP slot on the motherboard itself is bad. I obviously cannot get into the bios or OS to see the settings to determine if that may be the problem. Hopefully you will be able to help me solve this problem.

Thanks for your help,

2. KingCody

KingCody

are you getting any POST beeps?

3. kafru

kafru Thread Starter

No, there aren't any post beeps.

4. norton850

norton850

Power supply?
    Motherboard?

5. kafru

kafru Thread Starter

I just swapped out the power supply with a new one and still no signal. Is it possible to test the PCI/AGP slot for power with the volt meter? Are there any other tests I can run on the slot?

6. kafru

kafru Thread Starter

I forgot to mention, the old card is a e0TNT2 Vanta TV 016-A2-NV14-01

The new card is a Diamond Stealth S60 ATI Radeon 7000

7. KingCody

KingCody

does your system power on, just without video? -or does your system not even power up at all?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice