Monitor artefacting, unable to boot Windows, what's broken?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Firedrops

CPU: AMD R3 2200G Non overclocked whatsoever
Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus B450I
RAM: Team group 2x8 GB

Has been working fine as a browser/office pc for ~6 months, suddenly booted to this one day. The first boot had the artefacting shown above but froze. 2nd boot onwards it's just a black screen, nothing's coming on at all.

I suspect the GPU in the APU is broken, but is there any way to confirm that it is the APU that needs RMA instead of the mobo if I have no other replacements on hand to just test each one?

That is definitely an issue with the video and it's channel to the memory; but, the first suspect would be the RAM. Try it with just one module and/or other memory altogether.

I doubt it; bad video cables don't show regular patterned defects like that. Ram or CPU are the most likely culprits.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts