1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Background Colors Change

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Steve-x8086, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve-x8086

Steve-x8086 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Steve
    The color of the background on my screen has become strange. The white changes to a pale yellowish, light kaki tint for no apparent reason. It happens to both the web pages as well as the folder windows. Sometimes it changes back and forth and other times doesn't change at all. The really wierd part is that pictures and graphics don't show the yellowish tint.

I am using W-2000Pro with SP4, Rollup and updates.
    My Monitor is an Acer AL1912 LCD and I have had it from new.
    My Computer is about 3 years old and I have had it from new. It is a 3.2 P4 on an Intel 915gagMobo. Intel replaced this board about 1 year ago.
    There has been no abuse to the system, it has very few games on it and I have not added new software lately. I am the only one that uses this computer and it is my home PC.
    I use AVG 8.0 Free and Spybot. Both are updated. Other than an errant cookie, they have not found anything in the last 3 months.

If you need any more information or need to move this to another forum, just ask.

Thanks for your help,
    Steve-x8086

2. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    Steve-x8086, I think that I will help you a lot about this, because I'm too a Windows 2000 user with SP4, so this happened to my a few times, ussualy when exiting a game, try to go to right click on the desktop > properties > follow next images:

[​IMG]

Follow the steps on the image and make sure that you select True Color (32 bit).

[​IMG]

3. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Smartguy01 ..... Hmm .....

Just had to do that. Anyway, thanks for your reply. 1st, let me say that you did a great job of showing what to do. Even the people that get Windows for Dummies could understand - maybe. (I still have one for W-95 in my library - lol)

Unfortunately, the setting that you show is the setting that I have always used. I have tried to reset it but that seems to make no difference. The only games that I play are the good old MS games, Freecell and Solitare. Oh some Tetris when I get bored.

This problem is new. It has just started in the last few months. It doesn't matter if I use any browser or not. A few minutes earlier I was moving some files by dragging them from one window to another and, just like a switch was turned on, the normal white background turned that kaki color. Then, a bit later, it went back to white. Right now it is ok.

Tempurature doesn't seem to have anything to do with the problem. I cannot find any thing that will trigger it yet.

Thanks for the help. I'll keep trying.

Steve-x8086

4. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    I know it's like a guide for windows dummies, even better :p. But you didn't write your expirience level in your profile, so i didn't in what way I should tell you what to do, so i choosed "for dummies" :D (this isn't a offensive saying you are a dummy (y), just in case you go angry). I will keep thinking, and if an idea comes to my mind, I will tell you.

5. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    Try to set to 256 colors, and hit apply, and then set it back to true colors.

6. Steve-x8086

First Name:
    Steve
    Already did that before my 1st reply. I was complimenting you. Hope you took it that way. You know it's almost the color of the background kaki here but it happens anywhere except pictures and where the color is specific by the application. Ie spreadsheets and DOS programs.

As for experience, I started computers with punch cards in the late 70's, then DOS now Windows. I'm still using a XP computer for all of my Wordstar. At 7.2k in the boost mode it's still faster than current software because it is so basic. No gagets to figure out.

Thanks again. Sooner or later we'll figure it out. I'll try and get another monitor that's similar to test. Who knows ??

Steve-x8086

7. Smartguy01

Smartguy01

First Name:
    Ivan
    Try this control panel > display > settings > advanced > troubleshooting > and see how is the hardware acceleration set?

P.S.: When we try more and more, once we will solve it :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice