Monitor Black and in Safe Mode

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SargeTim5

So I've recently moved my computer, and after plugging everything back in and turning it on my Monitor is black, but i can see my mouse and the screen saver after a while. However, with all this my computer seems to be put on safe mode. I've checked and rechecked all the wires to make sure nothing is loose. Any suggestions on a possible fix?

Is this a CRT monitor or one of the flat LCDs?
Th old monitors really should not be moved too much, the tubes can be damaged. Do you have a laptop you can hook up to test?
How do you know you are in Safe Mode if the screen is black.
Have you tried the real Safe Mode with F8?

Do you have a TV where you can plug the computer in and see if anything is visible?
Can you take the desktop apart to see inside if the graphics card is sitting correctly or got loose while moving? (since sometime you can see the mouse).

SargeTim5

The monitor is a flat LCD. I do have a laptop but no cord to hook up to the computer. Yes I've tried Safe Mode with F8, and the only reason it looks like safe mode is because the mouse is abnormally large. Also the screen save which does come up is also abnormally large and only shows part of the screen saver.

I can't use my TV to test out my computer as its an old TV. I'll check the graphics card today.

Just an idea, can you use the mouse or the keyboard, the arrows and tab to go to the Control Panel - Display Properties - and check what Settings - Screen Resolution you have?

SargeTim5

Found out the problem. Seems in my rush to get everything plugged in, I put the monitor into the computer's plug in not my graphics card's.

glad you solved the problem. We can all learn from this, thatt persistence does have its rewards.
You can mark this Solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!