1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Black and in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SargeTim5, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SargeTim5

SargeTim5 Thread Starter

So I've recently moved my computer, and after plugging everything back in and turning it on my Monitor is black, but i can see my mouse and the screen saver after a while. However, with all this my computer seems to be put on safe mode. I've checked and rechecked all the wires to make sure nothing is loose. Any suggestions on a possible fix?

2. bp936

bp936

Is this a CRT monitor or one of the flat LCDs?
    Th old monitors really should not be moved too much, the tubes can be damaged. Do you have a laptop you can hook up to test?
    How do you know you are in Safe Mode if the screen is black.
    Have you tried the real Safe Mode with F8?

Do you have a TV where you can plug the computer in and see if anything is visible?
    Can you take the desktop apart to see inside if the graphics card is sitting correctly or got loose while moving? (since sometime you can see the mouse).

3. SargeTim5

SargeTim5 Thread Starter

The monitor is a flat LCD. I do have a laptop but no cord to hook up to the computer. Yes I've tried Safe Mode with F8, and the only reason it looks like safe mode is because the mouse is abnormally large. Also the screen save which does come up is also abnormally large and only shows part of the screen saver.

I can't use my TV to test out my computer as its an old TV. I'll check the graphics card today.

4. bp936

bp936

Just an idea, can you use the mouse or the keyboard, the arrows and tab to go to the Control Panel - Display Properties - and check what Settings - Screen Resolution you have?

5. SargeTim5

SargeTim5 Thread Starter

Found out the problem. Seems in my rush to get everything plugged in, I put the monitor into the computer's plug in not my graphics card's.

6. bp936

bp936

glad you solved the problem. We can all learn from this, thatt persistence does have its rewards.
    You can mark this Solved.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice