1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor blacking out

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by depdawg8, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. depdawg8

depdawg8 Thread Starter

New member. Used Search. perhaps someone could direct me to previous post(s) regarding this problem for I can't believe it is unique, but I couldn't find a specific post that addressed this in my brief attempt: My monitor screen has begun blacking out, sometimes completely, sometimes partially. Nothing I do seems to affect it, including various gyrations of the mouse. This happens no matter whether on the net or using OpenOffice or playing a simple gin rummy game. One aspect of the blacking out is a kind of interference, as if the monitor or computer is struggling to keep up with something, and then it will go completely black for either several seconds, or roughly five to ten minutes. The interference is always of a horizontal nature. If I go away, when I come back it is free again. I get the impression that perhaps something HAS caught up, or else something has warmed up. I am typing now on a perfect screen, but it can go bad at any time. I've not changed monitors ever. I've recently changed keyboards but this change is not in synch with this problem. I have an eMachine refurbished W2686 XP/2600+/512/80/Combo/NIC/XPH RB all of which comes from my invoice and as Jessica Simpson might say, "I don't know what that means, but I want it." I have an Orion monitor, but more than that I can't say at this time. It's worked fine since I bought the entire system from TigerDirect in Oct. 2004. I've tried to give as much info as possible without getting into too much for I believe someone will want to know specifics later. Can anyone help me with this? Is my monitor going bad, or have I made some adjustment to display controls that is causing the monitor to lose it, or is it a loose videocard (which I couldn't find if my life depended on it), or what? Anyone have experience with this symptom? Thanks in advance.

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

So it is just the monitor going black but the PC remains ON and working just no image..

check the cables to the monitor.......

If you can try another monitor would be a good idea

3. depdawg8

depdawg8 Thread Starter

bonk, this is correct. the computer continues but the screen will struggle with oscillationg horizontal blackout lines and sections or just black out altogether. When a monitor dies of old age, does it just go black, or does it die a slow death such as what I am witnessing? I have no other monitor with which to test my primary's health. I'll unplug and replug monitor cables to see if this helps.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Is the monitor a flat panel (LCD) type or the older heavy CRT type?

Your description would suggest its the older heavy CRT type, and my diagnosis would be a dying monitor, or more specifically one with an intermittent fault.

5. depdawg8

depdawg8 Thread Starter

kiwiguy, it is the larger, heavy CRT type. (1) "intermittent fault" implies that monitors can die slowly, rather than just go black all at once, is this correct? (2) Any recommendations on a reasonably priced monitor with an 18" diagonal? What is good value these days? (3) I'm assuming it is cheaper to buy new than to attempt to have repaired, correct? Thanks for your response.

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Ask a friend if you can plug your monitor into their computer for awhile and see what happens.
    I have two CRT's here, both a few years older than that, with no problems.

7. depdawg8

depdawg8 Thread Starter

Thanks XPSP2. That's a good take. First I'll have to find a friend. Then one with a monitor. Maybe the planets will align shortly. I'll give it a go. It seems that just since I've jiggled some connections the problem has lessened. It hasn't oscillated into black, it just went black suddenly only to return a few seconds later. Hasn't been a problem all day. I appreciate the help on this forum. Might have to give my mom and dad a heads up. they're slowly becoming Geeks, and they always show up with more muscle, bells, and whistles than I could ever afford. I've been overtaken by 70 years olds.

8. depdawg8

depdawg8 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Turns out, it WAS the monitor. I bought a used Dell for $20 from Craigslist, plugged it in, and no more problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice