1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor blank

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AbstractFire, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AbstractFire

AbstractFire Thread Starter

Well, I've got a Vista 32-bit computer, That's having a major problem. It seems the monitor is always in sleep mode (Yellow bulb, It's a LCD Dell) And i can't get out of it. I'm typing this on my friends computer. I Thought it might be the monitor, But when i plugged my old computer into the monitor (Same cords) It worked. Then i plugged the computer into a labtop, and, Black screen still.
    The computer is a HP
    I've tried a couple things
    -Restarting it obviously
    -I tried reshing CMOS or w/e, Pretty sure i did it
    -Tried plugging it directly into the wall
    Both the computers fans are running, And it's starting up fine, No beeping noises when it starts up, I can't try to do like disk repairs because obviously the screen is black.
    It will probably take me about a week to respond to any posts back, But i will when i can.
    Any other info needed?
    Oh, And i belive my computer is almost 2 years old, Nivida graphic card, And the computer crashed while i was loading a game, and that started the problem.
    gain, Ask me for add. info. I'll respond asap.

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

One. The VGA connector on a laptop is for video out, not in. You could have seriously messed up the laptop by connecting the VGA output from the other computer.

Only thing I can think of trying at this point is a complete factory system restore and I don't know if that will help.

3. AbstractFire

I'm pretty sure it was a input. But anywayz the labtop is fine. How would i go about a system restore with no screen?

4. big-tony

big-tony

You should still be able to run Safe mode if it's a corrupted video card issue .If you can get into safe mode, try uninstalling the driver for your video card and reinstalling it.

5. AbstractFire

I believe you hit F8 for safe mode right? So i just hit it randomly while starting it up? Or is there another way to do it without the screen? :\ I'll go try it

Okay i see what your saying. I don't know a ton about hardware, What ones the video card and how do i re-install it?

Thanks for taking time with me :)

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Yes. Safe Mode is usually the F8 key. Just start tapping it when you turn the computer on.

When/if safe mode comes up, go into Device Manager and click the plus by Display Adapters to show youe adapter.
    Right click on the name of the adapter then select uninstall from the popup menu.
    Restart the computer to reinstall the adapter.

Another thing to try if you get to Safe Mode is see if you can do a Recovery to a date before you had a problem

7. AbstractFire

Nope, Safe mode doesn't come up :(. I tried it at least 5-10 times, This is annoying. :mad: Any other ideas?

8. drrphillips

drrphillips

9. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Some things I should have asked first.
    What is the model of your computer?
    We are talking about onboard graphics and not an addon graphics card?

Right now, we are trying to establish if the problem is with the graphics card or something eles on the motherboard.

Try hitting the F2 key when starting the computer to see if the Bios setup will come up.

Did you make the Factory Restoration Discs when you got the computer?

If you did, restart the computer with the the first disc in the CD/DVD drive. If the drive will not open with the computer on, there is a small pinhole, usually on the right side above the drive open button, where you can insert a bent paperclip or similar sized stiff item to release the tray catch.

This disc should be able to bypass the onboard graphics and get the monitor to work. Remember, right now we are just trying to see if the monitor will work and if it does what recovery and restore options are availiable to besides a complete Factory Restoration.

A complete Factory Restoration should only be done as a last resort, as that will comletly wipe the harddrive and reformat it, losing everything you have put on it.

10. AbstractFire

I did not add anything on to the computer. It's complete default things. As to the model, Where would i get that? The disk drive does open by itself, It's fine. I did not make any discs, But i was looking and found that you can buy the disks for $30 from the makers. I'll brb, Going to go try the f2 key
    Okay, Tried the f2 key, Did nothing. Would it matter that i have a USB keyboard? (It's inserted into the USB port, Not the back)

11. AbstractFire

I think i'm going to take it to a specalist, I don't have the money atm but, Maybe he can fix it. :\

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/866032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice