1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Blinking

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SkyDragon, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SkyDragon

SkyDragon Thread Starter

Ive been having a problem with my monitor blinking / flashing a black screen every 5 min. It always happens when i change screens for example: load a full screen game, refresh the screen, etc... Everytime i start up my CPU the screen blinks. Then i have to turn off the monitor, wait like 10-15 seconds, then turn it back on for it to work. When it does come back on, the graphics are all messed up. Could this be my monitor? Or does it have something to do with my graphic card? Any help would be appreciated. If possible a solution =) Thanks

2. hulkinator

hulkinator

Screen flicker is normal when you change screen resolutions or settings (which more than likely happens when you play a full screen game). However the "messed up" graphics are not normal.

To test this we will isolate the variables. Here your variables are the graphics card and the monitor. You can: 1) attach the monitor to a known working computer. If the screen still acts funny, you know the monitor is at fault. If not, then it is probably your CPU's graphics card. Or you can 2) attach a known working monitor to the problematic CPU. If that screen acts funny, then you know it is your graphics card at fault, or at the very least not the original monitor. If that secondary monitor does not show any symptoms, then your original monitor is probably causing your problems.

Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852202

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice