1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor Blinking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Synchysis, Mar 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Synchysis

Synchysis Thread Starter

Brief description:

Upon log-in, my monitor begins to blink irregularly. After several minutes of occasional blinking, the screen will simply go black. Strangely, this blink-to-end-all blinks leaves the monitor in *sleep* mode - I can tell because its power-button light is now orange.

What I've done: Switched the monitor, to ensure that this isn't a monitor problem (it isn't - it happened with both monitors). No new software has been downloaded recently. Do I *need* to call geeksquad or something, or is there a way to determine what is causing this? I'm guessing video card but I know so little about hardware that I've got no reason to support that.

Any suggestions on further diagnosing the issue, let me know. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but in an hour or so I will try playing audio to determine if it will continue after the screen goes off / into sleep mode.

Thanks for the help!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If the display is ok until you get into Windows it could be a Video driver problem, boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 after the Post text screen and when the safe mode menu appears press Enter) and see if it still flickers then.

3. Synchysis

Synchysis Thread Starter

Seems to have fixed it, though it's only been ten minutes. Assuming it doesn't flicker / go into sleep, does this mean it's an issue with the monitor driver or another driver? And, how do I go about fixing / reinstalling it?

Much thanks again.

4. Synchysis

Synchysis Thread Starter

Reinstalled the video driver and it's been fine for the past twenty minutes. Thanks for the safemode tip!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice