1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor bluey colour

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kracknuts, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Hi

Was just on my pc when the colour changed.
    now everything is blueish... like theres blue celophane on the monitor.
    It seems that I dont have the colour red anymore... red and orange just turn out dark

I tried fiddling with the cable where it connects to the video card... this doesnt seem to make a difference.

earlier today the colour seemed a lil flickery

has my monitor just gone bad ?

2. happyrck

happyrck

plug it into a different computer...if its the same ..you will have to attend a monitor funeral

3. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

if different your graphics properties must have been tampered with
    (easy fix if it is this)

4. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Hi I tried it on another pc... same problem... so i guess its gone bung.

Guess will have to attend a funeral....any last words?

cheers for the advice :'( :'( :'(

5. happyrck

happyrck

Yes ...take it out into the yard..get any other computer components that have been giving you any trouble and put them in the window so they can see whats about to happen...then take a sledge hammer and beat the monitor like a rented mule...then tell the other fussy components they could be next...:D :D ...make sure they don't look away

6. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

I'm not sure of the new ones, but in older monitor types there are 3 potentiometers built in, controlling the 3 colors. If any of them get faulty, you will experience similar symptoms. It may be worth taking it to a service personnel. Replacing a potmeter is probably not a big deal.

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

The problem is most service centers charge 50$ to crack it open so by the end the repair is about 75$ (and thats assuming its a minor fix). You can almost buy a new LCD at that price.

Another bad sign is that it went flickery in my experiences a bad POT hasn't cause flicker like that it just makes the colors go out of whack.

8. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

You may be right, at least concerning Central Florida. Prices can be very different in the world. In Hungary (my place) you won't get a new LCD for 75$ :)

If it was my problem, and the service would be unreasonably pricy, I would try to fix the problem myself. It's better trying than just crashing the monitor. Hopefully, I could even pick up some knowlegde about monitor-innards :)

9. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I don't doubt it at all I can only speak from my experiences though, mainly the point I am trying to make is at a point it becomes cost prohibitive to fix a unit vrs buying a new one. On top of that I would never recommend to anyone with an unlisted experience level to crack open a monitor. There are some dangerous components in there if your not careful.

10. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

Hi

I just had all my components lined up in the window and my sledge hammer ready when I turned on my monitor and ...eh what the heck? the colour was showing again! But this moment of joy lasted only momentarily as when I opened a new window, it was back to its naughty blue.

Any ideas?

Im judge and im jury and im exercutioner too :D

11. Lurker1

Lurker1

Nope. Its the red gun in the monitor going out. Its better to replace the monitor with a new one than paying for a repair on an old monitor. You don't want to open up the monitor as their are dangerous voltages inside even when the unit is powered off.

12. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

Or you can adjust the monitors cord, different positions cause different colors, until you get the right one. The monitor on my old, old computer does this. Until you can raise the funds to get the ultimate monitor you want.

13. kracknuts

kracknuts Thread Starter

ok thanks ill restrain myself from prying open the monitor to fiddle wif its innards

Anway i bought a second hand phillips 107T monitor, at first when it starts up there are a few faint lines (i think they call them moire?) going horizontally across the screen, visable on the white areas. After a few minutes these lessen and almost go away completely...

is this bad?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice