1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor blur on win, but not in dos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yahoos, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

Hi,

I have an nec multisync 3fgx monitor on an nec sys..

A nephews computer - only had dos. There was no distortion at all.

I left dos on (didn't format) and loaded win98 in.

Found the driver for the exact model monitor.
    Installed the driver, though it didn't ask to restart, but it does say the correct monitor.

However, the letters are blurry in windows, yet not when the dos screen and old stuff pertaining to dos. Nothing in Dos is blurry.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks, yahoos

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

How about the video drivers.

3. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

Thanks so much.. Didn't realize needed separate driver for that.

Yahoos

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

So are we fixed?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that if it's like many monitors, the lower resolution of the DOS character mode looks good, but the graphics interface of Windows doesn't look so good. That's a pretty old monitor I believe, I remember that model from a few years back. :)

6. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

Today I noticed on the computer the blurriness was now in DOS as well as Win.. That made me think it's the monitor itself. :eek:

I found a video driver; it's 9mb! I used chainsaw to break it down, but had a problem w/one of the disks on load. I'd been working on it most the day, so just stopped. I'm thinking a few things - I need to make sure plug is in all the way (mon to pc), but I doubt that's it, but just to triple check.

I don't know if windows will recgonize a driver that's on the hard drive readily, and I am leery of it being such a big file. But I'll get that loaded tomorrow.

But with all the advice and help with utilities, I was able to get a hardware/software identifier program on it, to see the video card and modem. No modem. I'll be getting one soon for it.

I guess my heart dropped when I saw the blur in dos as well as windows. :eek:

I have back problem, it's hard for me to get around and so I can't hook the monitor to my sys.

It's got to be a pretty old monitor as the last poster said. :cool:

It sure is fun troubleshooting, but this computer is so frustrating. lol

I couldn't think of any more to ask. I feel like I need to to do those few things, and see what happens.

It sure is nice that you want to know if it's working! I'll post tomorrow.

Thankful,

ganaan

7. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

I never was able to load the video driver on, but am pretty confident the monitor had seen better days.

Thank you all for the help. I learned a lot.

Take care.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

New 17" monitors can be had for as little as $60-70 after rebate nowadays, time to shop the bargain sites. :)

9. yahoos

yahoos Thread Starter

Johnwill,

Hi. I didn't realize they are that inexpensive with rebates. That's good news.

Thank you,

ganaan

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice