1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor cannot be turned ON.....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by STDupont, Apr 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. STDupont

STDupont Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

Need some help on how to fix this monitor-Cannot turn on

I have a Acer/ Ferrari F20 monitor that I just brought from Salvation army store, that simply cannot be turned on.

I bought a brand new power adapter according to it’s spec(s), disassembled the monitor, found the 3 old capacitors ( CapXon 180 uf/ 35V ) were no good, and replaced with RubyCon 270 uf/ 35V )

But still, cannot be turned ON. No power light on monitor; power adaptor lights is ok-it’s new.

I noticed there is some “dried ice-cream” stuff?? on one of the part (which I don’t know what that part is called/ nor it’s function)…...Not sure if it is the reason,…

Can any gentlemen here help me to round-up what other “usual-suspect(s) “ so that I can get this works. Thank you.

** p.s. I am a dummy on repairing monitors/ hardwares, only knows softwares like Windows. Million thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Did you plug the monitor in at the store to see if a power light came on? If not, you have no idea if the monitor works.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It appears the stuff you are asking about is electrolyte from a leaking capacitor. With the price of a new 20" monitor at $59 after you apply the promo code, it is NOT cost effective to attempt to repair this unit. Here is a link to the newegg $59 monitor. Note it shows $64 however you have to apply the promo code.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009696

4. STDupont

STDupont Thread Starter

No, i could not test the monitor at salvation army store because the original power adapter was missing. This was the reason it took me sometime to find the correct replacement power, 18V/ 4.17V with pins plug that going in the monitor.

Also, as i mentioned, I found out the 3 capacitors that were bad once I opened the monitor, so it was not in working condition, i went ahead to replace the 3 capacitors, already done.

Any ideas of any "usual suspect" or any ideas on how to get it working again? Also, how about the "dried-ice-cream" stuff on that little part?

Thank you,

5. STDupont

STDupont Thread Starter

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I already replaced the 3 capacitors, any other ideas ?

I am currently unemployed, so I am a little tight in $$, any idea on how I can make this work, is truly appreciated. Thank you.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. Other than sending it to an electronics shop for testing. The cost of that service would be much higher than the cost of a new monitor.
    From the pic, it appears that the capacitor near JP16 is deformed and there is something on the circuit board; perhaps from your repair or maybe more electrolyte. It is difficult to tell.

In any case, it is not cost effective to attempt to repair a monitor. I doubt even an electronics shop would do a repair on an acer monitor.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice