monitor color shortage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kevinps62

I just installed WinME and have only one choice in display settings: 16 colors. The graphics are terrible. From past responses it seems that the integrated video card was not recognized?? I don't have drivers for this computer as it was acquired used with no documentation or OS on it. Below is what I have. Can anyone tell me how to go about fixing this problem? I've posted before but no one seems to be able to give me an answer. Thanks.

Here's what I have per Belarc if it's any help.

Computer Profile Summary

Operating System System Model
Windows Millennium Edition IBM 6285G1U
System Serial Number: 23HVFZ1
Processor a Main Circuit Board
366 megahertz Intel Celeron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: IBM 6285G1U
Serial Number: EHGVHFXZQ1Y
Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
BIOS: IBM PDKT21AUS 02/08/99
Drives Memory Modules
8.41 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
7.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY CD-ROM CDU701-F
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (8.41 GB) -- drive 0 320 Megabytes Installed Memory
256 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
64 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
One Memory Socket is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 8.41 GB 7.65 GB free

Network Drives

Controllers Printers
Standard Floppy Disk Controller
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) None detected
Display
Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) [Display adapter]
NEC MultiSync XV17+ (-2) [Monitor]
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible) (WDM)
Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI (AWE32 compatible) (WDM)
Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
Communications Other Devices
Macronix MX98715 Family Fast Ethernet Adapter (ACPI)
Network Card MAC Address: 00:80:C6:EE:A2:8A Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
USB Root Hub
Software Licenses

Microsoft - Internet Explorer 52783-010-7555292-14360
Microsoft - MediaPlayer 52783-010-7555292-14360
Microsoft - Windows Millennium Edition 52783-010-7555292-14360 (Key: K8B4P-6BD7Y-48QMB-D3Y6R-TWFM4)

Software Versions
Belarc Advisor and BelLive - Belarc's Content Personalization with Privacy Version 5.0h*
Cinematronics - 3D Pinball Version 4.90.3000.1*
Microsoft (r) PCHealth Version 4.90.0.2525*
Microsoft (r) Windows Script Host Version 5.1.0.4615*
Microsoft Corporation - DirectShow Version 6.4.07.1112*
Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 5.50.4522.1800* Microsoft Corporation - MSN Gaming Zone Version 1.00.523.4*
Microsoft Corporation - MSN(tm) Messenger Service Version 2.2*
Microsoft Corporation - Spider Version 2, 0, 0, 1*
Microsoft Corporation - Windows Movie Maker Version 1.0.1376.0*
Microsoft Corporation - Windows® NetMeeting® Version 3.01*
Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player Version 7.00.00.1440*

go to start/settings/control panel/device manager & then to you graphics "display adapter"... update the drivers under property of it

kevinps62

I did the following:

go to start/settings/control panel/device manager & then to you graphics "display adapter"... update the drivers under property of it.

...and it said the best driver was already installed, which is the standard VGA. Any other ideas?

Windows is stoopid! try switching to something called "Super VGA" drivers. They should provide better resolution/colors

kevinps62

Ok, I switched to Super VGA (although it warned me it might not work right). It allowed me to go to 800 x 600 pixels which improved things somewhat, but the graphics are still crappy, and I only get 16 colors. I simply do not understand what the issue is here. Is it the piece of graphic hardware in my system that is lacking, or is it a lack of the right driver that needs to be downloaded with a disk?

ok you changed desktop sizes...did you also change the color settings while there

kevinps62

Display settings still only allows me 16 colors. Is there somewhere else I need to change colors?

I have the same problem, the only adapter my computer will allow me to set is standard vga graphics, which in turn only allows 16 colors. I was able to set my monitor on super vga. Is there a solution to this problem?

kevinps62

You need to find out what video card you have and find the correct driver and install it. Do you know how to determine what video card make, model you have?

How do I find out what video card I have? I opened up my computer, but cant find anything on the board that has any terminology that resembles a color card

kevinps62

Go to Belarc.com, run the free personal PC audit. It'll tell you the model # and everything else about your computer you want to know. If you know what make and model number computer you have, you can go to the manufacturer's web site and find out what video card you have. What is the make and model number of your computer? The Belarc utility will give you the exact model number. Let me know and I'll see if I can help you.

Did the Belarc thing- no help. the computer is a protek amd k-6 w/3dnow, system model "no details available". the info is just what drivers are loaded, not what cards are inside.

Also Kevinps62, I found some interesting info on another thread from breadie on this same problem. Her fix ended up being a new color card. My color card was working good until I formatted my hard drive to purge out a bunch of deleted programs that were slowing me down. I reinstalled windows 98 step by step using my users guide. The key is going to be finding out what color card I have.

You need to load a driver for your video card. Windows has loaded an interim driver which is not suitable. To find the right driver you are going to have to identify your video card which most probablt will invole opening your box and writing down some model numbers . If you go to the www.driverzone.com this site will lead you to your video card manufacturer's download site

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!