1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

monitor color shortage

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kevinps62, Dec 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

I just installed WinME and have only one choice in display settings: 16 colors. The graphics are terrible. From past responses it seems that the integrated video card was not recognized?? I don't have drivers for this computer as it was acquired used with no documentation or OS on it. Below is what I have. Can anyone tell me how to go about fixing this problem? I've posted before but no one seems to be able to give me an answer. Thanks.

Here's what I have per Belarc if it's any help.

Computer Profile Summary

Operating System System Model
    Windows Millennium Edition IBM 6285G1U
    System Serial Number: 23HVFZ1
    Processor a Main Circuit Board
    366 megahertz Intel Celeron
    32 kilobyte primary memory cache
    128 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: IBM 6285G1U
    Serial Number: EHGVHFXZQ1Y
    Bus Clock: 66 megahertz
    BIOS: IBM PDKT21AUS 02/08/99
    Drives Memory Modules
    8.41 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    7.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY CD-ROM CDU701-F
    Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (8.41 GB) -- drive 0 320 Megabytes Installed Memory
    256 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
    64 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
    One Memory Socket is Empty
    Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 8.41 GB 7.65 GB free

Network Drives

Controllers Printers
    Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) None detected
    Display
    Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) [Display adapter]
    NEC MultiSync XV17+ (-2) [Monitor]
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible) (WDM)
    Creative AWE64 Wavetable MIDI (AWE32 compatible) (WDM)
    Gameport Joystick (no joystick connected)
    Communications Other Devices
    Macronix MX98715 Family Fast Ethernet Adapter (ACPI)
    Network Card MAC Address: 00:80:C6:EE:A2:8A Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    USB Root Hub
    Software Licenses

Microsoft - Internet Explorer 52783-010-7555292-14360
    Microsoft - MediaPlayer 52783-010-7555292-14360
    Microsoft - Windows Millennium Edition 52783-010-7555292-14360 (Key: K8B4P-6BD7Y-48QMB-D3Y6R-TWFM4)

Software Versions
    Belarc Advisor and BelLive - Belarc's Content Personalization with Privacy Version 5.0h*
    Cinematronics - 3D Pinball Version 4.90.3000.1*
    Microsoft (r) PCHealth Version 4.90.0.2525*
    Microsoft (r) Windows Script Host Version 5.1.0.4615*
    Microsoft Corporation - DirectShow Version 6.4.07.1112*
    Microsoft Corporation - Internet Explorer Version 5.50.4522.1800* Microsoft Corporation - MSN Gaming Zone Version 1.00.523.4*
    Microsoft Corporation - MSN(tm) Messenger Service Version 2.2*
    Microsoft Corporation - Spider Version 2, 0, 0, 1*
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows Movie Maker Version 1.0.1376.0*
    Microsoft Corporation - Windows® NetMeeting® Version 3.01*
    Microsoft(R) Windows Media Player Version 7.00.00.1440*

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

go to start/settings/control panel/device manager & then to you graphics "display adapter"... update the drivers under property of it

3. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

I did the following:

go to start/settings/control panel/device manager & then to you graphics "display adapter"... update the drivers under property of it.

...and it said the best driver was already installed, which is the standard VGA. Any other ideas?

4. WarC

WarC

Windows is stoopid! try switching to something called "Super VGA" drivers. They should provide better resolution/colors

5. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

Ok, I switched to Super VGA (although it warned me it might not work right). It allowed me to go to 800 x 600 pixels which improved things somewhat, but the graphics are still crappy, and I only get 16 colors. I simply do not understand what the issue is here. Is it the piece of graphic hardware in my system that is lacking, or is it a lack of the right driver that needs to be downloaded with a disk?

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

ok you changed desktop sizes...did you also change the color settings while there

7. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

Display settings still only allows me 16 colors. Is there somewhere else I need to change colors?

8. sandkerj

sandkerj

I have the same problem, the only adapter my computer will allow me to set is standard vga graphics, which in turn only allows 16 colors. I was able to set my monitor on super vga. Is there a solution to this problem?

9. TechChick

TechChick

You need to install drivers for your specific video card.

10. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

You need to find out what video card you have and find the correct driver and install it. Do you know how to determine what video card make, model you have?

11. sandkerj

sandkerj

How do I find out what video card I have? I opened up my computer, but cant find anything on the board that has any terminology that resembles a color card

12. kevinps62

kevinps62 Thread Starter

Go to Belarc.com, run the free personal PC audit. It'll tell you the model # and everything else about your computer you want to know. If you know what make and model number computer you have, you can go to the manufacturer's web site and find out what video card you have. What is the make and model number of your computer? The Belarc utility will give you the exact model number. Let me know and I'll see if I can help you.

13. sandkerj

sandkerj

Did the Belarc thing- no help. the computer is a protek amd k-6 w/3dnow, system model "no details available". the info is just what drivers are loaded, not what cards are inside.

14. sandkerj

sandkerj

Also Kevinps62, I found some interesting info on another thread from breadie on this same problem. Her fix ended up being a new color card. My color card was working good until I formatted my hard drive to purge out a bunch of deleted programs that were slowing me down. I reinstalled windows 98 step by step using my users guide. The key is going to be finding out what color card I have.

15. Kuwaiti Kid

Kuwaiti Kid

You need to load a driver for your video card. Windows has loaded an interim driver which is not suitable. To find the right driver you are going to have to identify your video card which most probablt will invole opening your box and writing down some model numbers . If you go to the www.driverzone.com this site will lead you to your video card manufacturer's download site

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63178

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice