Monitor compatability

swanto

First of all, I am not sure this is the right forum but since it involves acquiring a better PC for light gaming (SOW WLOO) I thought I would start here. I am looking at a number of refurfurbished desktops with Nvidia Geforce 1030 so I can play a game with higher requirements than my laptop can provide. I have a detached 2007 FP Dell monitor that connects to my laptop with a VGA cable. I am concerned this will not work with a HDMI signal. One advisor sez its hopeless and another sez that "adapters" are available.

What is your opinion?

If this is your monitor.....then it only has VGA and DVI. So an HDMI cable wont work unless you use an adapter. I would just use a DVI cable. The only difference between HDMI and DVI is that HDMI carries sound and DVI doesn't.

swanto

Thanks bass fisher, I will run this by someone that comprehends and see if he can explain it to an idiot like me.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I am looking at a number of refurfurbished desktops with Nvidia Geforce 1030 so I can play a game with higher requirements than my laptop can provide.
I assume you actually mean a NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 graphics card.

If your intent is to purchase a refurbished desktop for gaming, don't make the mistake of concentrating only on its graphics card.

Make sure its processor and RAM and storage drive and power supply are up to snuff.

-------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online