1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Monitor compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GodisaJD, Aug 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GodisaJD

GodisaJD Thread Starter

Hi,novice forum newbie here.Just been given a new 28" UHD monitor out of the blue and found out my 8y/old pc only has D-Sub/VGA connection.The new monitor only has 2xHGMI and 1 DP connections.I like my old pc and dont want to buy a new one.Is there any simple way to get around this? Thank you

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't describe your PC(brand name, model name, model number), but it appears it has only an integrated VGA connection.
    You didn't describe your 28" monitor(brand name, model number), but it appears it has two HDMI and one Display Port connections.
    I'm not sure a VGA-to-HDMI adapter will work, so the only suggestion I can make is to install a graphics card in your PC that has a HDMI connection.
    Be patient, and I'm sure someone else here will reply.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  3. GodisaJD

GodisaJD Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up,Did'nt think i would need specs for the basic question....I get that VGA to HMDI adapter would negate my UHD monitors capability.I have a Fujistsu Espimo P1500 mini tower.RE Graphics card with HDMI,easily fitted? likely cost? Thanks for your prompt reply! LOL This free monitor may turn out to be a Trojan horse !!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its detailed marketing specs, this is what the rear of the Fujitsu Esprimo P1500 Desktop PC looks like.
    Capture.JPG
    (click image to enlarge and view)

It has an integrated 15-pin VGA port for making a connection to a monitor.
    It has no dedicated graphics card which would offer additional connection options.

Its motherboard has a PCI Express x16 slot for adding a dedicated graphics card.
    It has a 330W power supply.

A low-powered NVIDIA chip-based graphics card which has a HDMI port is what you need to use that monitor.

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. GodisaJD

GodisaJD Thread Starter

Once again thanks for your prompt reply.As my unit is 8 y/old already,in your humble opinion do you think im just as well getting a new unit? Seemingly the monitor was £230

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its marketing specs, your desktop came with an Intel Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad/Pentium processor and DDR2 RAM and a SATA2 storage drive.
    That's pretty old technology, so you might consider getting a newer model desktop which comes with an Intel Core i5/i7 processor and DDR3/DDR4 RAM and a SATA3 storage drive.
    Depending on where you and what's available, there's a lot of refurbished models that you can browse through and select.
    I've bought nothing but refurbished models since 2011 because they're a lot cheaper than brand new ones, and they don't come with all the "bloatware" that brand new ones do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. GodisaJD

GodisaJD Thread Starter

Thank you Frank,i'll have a scout about and see whats available.Would it be ok to come back and ask you for some help on transferring(files)from old pc to the new one?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.
    Good luck on your search for a replacement newer faster computer.

I don't transfer personal data(documents, photos, etc.) from one computer to another.
    I copy it to DVD-R's and then use that media to copy it into whatever new computer I have.
    I have 5 full-time desktops which have a copy of my personal data and is kept up-to-date.

-------------------------------------------------------------

9. GodisaJD

GodisaJD Thread Starter

Long story but i managed to get a refund on the monitor.Just noticed my spare LG flat screen tv has an RGB/VGA slot,would i be able to use it as a monitor? RE dedicated graphics card with HDMI as you mentioned above,would that be quite easy to fit ?

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never connected and used a flat-screen TV with a desktop PC, so I can't answer your question.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    TV brand and model?

Yes, it should work. However, TV's with VGA (ie: computer input) are often very limited on the supported resolutions. You can verify in the TV User Manual. It's typically just a matter of putting the TV into "PC" mode and selecting an appropriate resolution on the PC. Depending on the TV resolution and viewing distance, it could be perfectly fine to a horrible experience. And most TV's will work just fine for daily tasks, but often have input lag which makes gaming impossible or at least not enjoyable.

12. GodisaJD

GodisaJD Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.Its an 8 y/old LG 32LH2000 but ive mislaid the manual.The PC is generally for daily tasks but i do play online poker on it which worries me re lagging The viewing distance may actually be a bonus as the PC is stuck in a corner.No harm in giving it a try,i'll report back and let you know.

13. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice